Ex-Intel Employee Jailed for Stealing Company Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

straw_hat

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
And yet when a companies does this - no one pays - how much has been stolen from the public purse for example and yet no one has paid.

catbus1

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I don't see how anyone would equate the theft of $200 million+ to 3 years in prison.

This is just going to encourage employee theft while a disgusting scumbag gets off light to just do it again.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]catbus1[/nom]I don't see how anyone would equate the theft of $200 million+ to 3 years in prison.This is just going to encourage employee theft while a disgusting scumbag gets off light to just do it again.[/citation]
Because he didn't steal $200 million, he stole data to the value of, and he never got to use it.

Plus 3 years in the pen for this pampered office guy will be like 20 years on the chain gang when the gangstas and drug dealers have a party in his cell, he's gonna be walking like John Wayne for the rest of his life.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Steal 200 million from microsoft, get 3 years and a 17k fine. Steal $1000 from the liquor store, get 20 years and a bullet...[/citation]
The one that got it worst was the owner of Megaupload.......... :(

G

Sounds like a civil problem and not one that should have been handled with prison time.

[citation][nom]catbus1[/nom]I don't see how anyone would equate the theft of $200 million+ to 3 years in prison.This is just going to encourage employee theft while a disgusting scumbag gets off light to just do it again.[/citation]
if he had used the data in any way he would be facing life in prison. But as it is he will be in jail for 1 year (out early to make room for real criminals), and he will never be able to find a job in the tech industry ever again.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Corporate espionage is very much a real thing this makes me wonder if he was planning on making AMD a victim of the same act. There very much could be a unknown third party involved in this that he could have or intended to share the info with.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]straw_hat[/nom]And yet when a companies does this - no one pays - how much has been stolen from the public purse for example and yet no one has paid.[/citation]
you got it all wrong...this is different, much different

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I refuse to believe AMD would hire one of Intel's design engineers without knowing he worked for Intel.. That's the kind of thing you put on your resume.. Since they're probably lying about that, i would hazard a guess that they also knew he had stolen sensitive documents.. Shame on AMD. I'm glad I've never bought an AMD processor and never will. Makes me laugh that they get stolen documents from Intel, and their processors still suck compared to Intel

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dns7950[/nom]I refuse to believe AMD would hire one of Intel's design engineers without knowing he worked for Intel.. That's the kind of thing you put on your resume.. Since they're probably lying about that, i would hazard a guess that they also knew he had stolen sensitive documents.. Shame on AMD. I'm glad I've never bought an AMD processor and never will. Makes me laugh that they get stolen documents from Intel, and their processors still suck compared to Intel[/citation]

Over react much?

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Why drag the hamburglar's image through the mud? He only steals crappy burgers, and he's American.

I love when these companies face problems trying to save money on hiring people with the h-1b visa. Not sure if these tech companies that mostly import employees are any better than just moving the whole company overseas. Hard to believe that it's not possible to build the same quality products without bringing in employees from other countries. It would probably cost a bit more, and that's why they do it. I say tax the company $30k more per year per h-1b visa. Level the playing field and bring money back into the government.

Enough of my rant, sorry.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dns7950[/nom]I refuse to believe AMD would hire one of Intel's design engineers without knowing he worked for Intel.. That's the kind of thing you put on your resume.. Since they're probably lying about that, i would hazard a guess that they also knew he had stolen sensitive documents.. Shame on AMD. I'm glad I've never bought an AMD processor and never will. Makes me laugh that they get stolen documents from Intel, and their processors still suck compared to Intel[/citation]
Considering AMD cooperated with the FBI during their investigation, I'm sure if AMD had received any of the data, it would have been found. Also, AMD had no way of knowing for sure that he was still employed by Intel without him admitting to it. I'm sure the FBI looked at his employee file during the investigation. You're just too much an Intel fanboy to ever figure out how much information was actually collected during the federal investigation. I'm sure AMD knew he had worked for Intel as that would have been on his resume....but given that the federal investigator stated that AMD didn't know Pani was employed by Intel while working for AMD, I'm sure he listed his employment end date as prior to gaining employment with AMD.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]straw_hat[/nom]And yet when a companies does this - no one pays - how much has been stolen from the public purse for example and yet no one has paid.[/citation]
trillions upon trillions, only our present and former congress members and aides know.

f-14

Distinguished
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/indian-in-us-under-probe-for-stealing-intel-secrets/73774-3.html
video included, "Indian charged with stealing Intel secrets"
New Delhi: An Indian software engineer in the US has been charged by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for stealing trade secrets of software giant Intel Corp.
Thirty-three year old Biswamohan Pani joined chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) after resigning from Intel.
The FBI reportedly found some sensitive documents at his home including design plans for future processor chips.
During a raid at Pani's home on July 1, the FBI recovered eight Intel documents and 19 CAD drawings. All the documents and drawing were classified as confidential, secret, or top secret.
He denied any charges of theft, but he surrendered his passport to US authorities. He claimed that he had taken the documents and drawing only to help tutor his wife Vandana Padhi in her new job.
He has not been arrested but case is being tried at the US District Court in Boston.
Bishwamohan's father Brundaban Pani, who lives in Bhubaneshwar, claimed that his son was innocent
"My son is innocent and the Indian government should help us to bring him back," Brundaban Pani said.
hire foreign, you get what you pay for including their morals and loyalty.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cRACKmONKEY421[/nom]Why drag the hamburglar's image through the mud? He only steals crappy burgers, and he's American.I love when these companies face problems trying to save money on hiring people with the h-1b visa. Not sure if these tech companies that mostly import employees are any better than just moving the whole company overseas. Hard to believe that it's not possible to build the same quality products without bringing in employees from other countries. It would probably cost a bit more, and that's why they do it. I say tax the company $30k more per year per h-1b visa. Level the playing field and bring money back into the government.Enough of my rant, sorry.[/citation]
Well, if local employees aren't up to the mark, companies might stand to lose more than gain.

You know, being India, it's embarrassing every time something like this happens. However, your comment was just a cry-baby like. It's harder for us to get into companies like Intel, they place higher requirements on us.

Even colleges. If i had tried to join an undergrad course at an Ivy League college i'd have to have an almost perfect SAT score (2200 and above), with additional requirements.

So wtf is up with "OMG foreigners!".

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Well, if local employees aren't up to the mark, companies might stand to lose more than gain.You know, being India, it's embarrassing every time something like this happens. However, your comment was just a cry-baby like. It's harder for us to get into companies like Intel, they place higher requirements on us. Even colleges. If i had tried to join an undergrad course at an Ivy League college i'd have to have an almost perfect SAT score (2200 and above), with additional requirements.So wtf is up with "OMG foreigners!".[/citation]

Companies obviously do gain by hiring foreigners, that's why they do it. You shouldn't be embarrassed by what one Indian guy does. I was just surprised to see a white guy outside of management at Intel when I saw the picture on this article. A google search solidified my thoughts that most companies around here hire foreign engineers. An american citizen could have just as easily stolen secret information; that's not my point. Just raises an interesting fact. Have you ever been to Intel? Judging by the number of foreigners, your kids would be much more likely to be hired at Intel if they were born in India. Unless they're trying for management.

The thing we should be asking ourselves is "Why do we not have enough good engineers locally?" or "Why is it so much cheaper to bring in foreign engineers?". That's the real issue. I have no problem with foreigners, though you sound lame.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Well, if local employees aren't up to the mark, companies might stand to lose more than gain.You know, being India, it's embarrassing every time something like this happens. However, your comment was just a cry-baby like. It's harder for us to get into companies like Intel, they place higher requirements on us. Even colleges. If i had tried to join an undergrad course at an Ivy League college i'd have to have an almost perfect SAT score (2200 and above), with additional requirements.So wtf is up with "OMG foreigners!".[/citation]
I seriously doubt that local employee are not up to the task and I'm a immigrant . While i had met a lot of lazy, laid back, Seat warmer, under performer Americans. I also had met a lot of Exceptionally bright ones I pretty much doubt that local Employee are not up to the task, they are just more expensive to hire than bringing in foreigners

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cRACKmONKEY421[/nom]Companies obviously do gain by hiring foreigners, that's why they do it. You shouldn't be embarrassed by what one Indian guy does. I was just surprised to see a white guy outside of management at Intel when I saw the picture on this article. A google search solidified my thoughts that most companies around here hire foreign engineers. An american citizen could have just as easily stolen secret information; that's not my point. Just raises an interesting fact. Have you ever been to Intel? Judging by the number of foreigners, your kids would be much more likely to be hired at Intel if they were born in India. Unless they're trying for management.The thing we should be asking ourselves is "Why do we not have enough good engineers locally?" or "Why is it so much cheaper to bring in foreign engineers?". That's the real issue. I have no problem with foreigners, though you sound lame.[/citation]
Lol i'm more likely to be hired by Intel than my kids, i'm only 19 and a year into electronics engineering :D
I know, a lot of asians at intel.

It's embarrassing because right now the image India's giving of being a scandal/corruption hub is really quite sad, and what i'm reading is businesses and institutions don't like it here anymore because it's so difficult to get past red tape and politics. Then you have employees. Read about Adidas?
Anyway I can only hope my generation has more sense. It's a great country, sadly corruption has got the better of us.

[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]I seriously doubt that local employee are not up to the task and I'm a immigrant . While i had met a lot of lazy, laid back, Seat warmer, under performer Americans. I also had met a lot of Exceptionally bright ones I pretty much doubt that local Employee are not up to the task, they are just more expensive to hire than bringing in foreigners[/citation]
True, never said americans were not up to it. Just said that it's not that all foreigners are undesirable.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
The punishment sounded just about fair, except that jail time could have been replaced with a larger fine -- real criminals should go in jail, those who are dangerous to civilians.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
read about it weeks ago on legit reviews and fudzilla (although before being trailed)

it was something about intel atom he stole, useless anyway

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Lol i'm more likely to be hired by Intel than my kids, i'm only 19 and a year into electronics engineering I know, a lot of asians at intel.It's embarrassing because right now the image India's giving of being a scandal/corruption hub is really quite sad, and what i'm reading is businesses and institutions don't like it here anymore because it's so difficult to get past red tape and politics. Then you have employees. Read about Adidas? Anyway I can only hope my generation has more sense. It's a great country, sadly corruption has got the better of us.True, never said americans were not up to it. Just said that it's not that all foreigners are undesirable.[/citation]

From where I am I've never heard anything bad like that about India. I hear lots of bad things about other countries but not really anything bad about India except for the Caste system.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Price you pay for employing people that have no loyalty to US and its companies. I am hoping this is a rare issue but its more common than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.