News Ex-Windows developer calls Windows 11 Start menu performance 'comically bad,' even with a Core i9 and 128GB of RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I'm just giving a viewpoint that there IS software that is Windows/Not Linux.
My point this there is a viable alternative to that software on other systems. That would be like saying Notepad++ is unique to Windows when Visual Studio code with a plugin does the exact same functionality for macOS and Linux. Sure that specific app was never updated to work on something other than Windows, but new alternatives work cross platform.

I also said major software. MRI's, Aviation, etc. are very industry specific. If we want to go down that road I can name more things that require Linux than Windows, especially in the server world. Windows server is quickly becoming obsolete.

BTW, aviation software is largely build on unix and linux kernels, many being forks of public offerings, some closed source like QNX.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
My point this there is a viable alternative to that software on other systems. That would be like saying Notepad++ is unique to Windows when Visual Studio code with a plugin does the exact same functionality for macOS and Linux. Sure that specific app was never updated to work on something other than Windows, but new alternatives work cross platform.

I also said major software. MRI's, Aviation, etc. are very industry specific. If we want to go down that road I can name more things that require Linux than Windows, especially in the server world. Windows server is quickly becoming obsolete.

BTW, aviation software is largely build on unix and linux kernels, many being forks of public offerings, some closed source like QNX.
I can't think of a major piece of software outside of games that has come out in the last 10 years that Windows only.
Linux is absolutely replacing Windows in a lot of areas.

My only point was that there ARE some things that are not available in Linux. Some of them not so trivial.

A lot of Linux people don't believe this to be true.

jackt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
"everything" is not a what.

But, whatever.
Yes, people do still use Windows. nudge nudge...'most' people.
yes, most of the people are spyed 24/24 by multiple companies and governs (and they pay for it rather than being payed)... very sad and disappointing...

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Linux is absolutely replacing Windows in a lot of areas.

My only point was that there ARE some things that are not available in Linux. Some of them not so trivial.

A lot of Linux people don't believe this to be true.
Ok that's fair. I'm not trying to say there is no use for Windows either, just that for the average desktop user, be it Windows or macOS or Linux, software that targets a specific system is starting to become a thing of the past because cross platform development has become much easier over the last decade and become easier every year.

NinoPino

Commendable
May 26, 2022
No. But this person having problems is meaningless in the world of statistics.

Or do you think statistics are fake?
If you have 1 bug every 1000000 runs it is a huge problem also if statistics says no.
However here the problems are not rare as testified by others.

The old guard clings to what they know....resists change. automatically finding fault.
There are well known rules to UI design that will result in a clean, efficient interface. Win11 just doesn't even try. MS added complexity to already simply tasks for the sake of what? To make it pretty? I'll admit I do like the new aesthetic, and some of the menus are great, once you get to them....and that's the issue at heart. Three and four clicks to get to what was in many cases, one or two at most.

Reactions: JamesJones44

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
They never should have integrated online search results to begin with. Leave that for web browsers and stick to searching what's on the device or integrated via cloud storage services (for files that are downloaded on demand)

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
They never should have integrated online search results to begin with. Leave that for web browsers and stick to searching what's on the device or integrated via cloud storage services (for files that are downloaded on demand)
They want to steer users to their search results, and to promote their Bing/AI services

Ex-Windows developer Andy Young published an X post showcasing horrendous performance issues he's been experiencing on Windows 11, specifically related to the start menu.

Ex-Windows developer calls Windows 11 Start menu performance 'comically bad,' even with a Core i9 and 128GB of RAM : Read more

I have never used 11 i am on 10 but i know a lot of people who cant stand 11.

The worse operating system was vista , when the then new operating system was talked about microsoft gave it the name Longhorn , they were so far behind in its development that Vista suddenly started to be talked about in the hope that everyone would forget that something had been called Longhorn.

I had a Vista pc and it was awful , their were so many report logs and things in the background that you could look at you could actually convince yourself your pc had something wrong with it when in actual fact it was ok.

And the proof is .... i went into a local store to get a windows 7 pc and asked what was the difference between Vista and 7 , i will always remember his reply , he said 7 is Vista with all the rubbish taken out.

It has always puzzled me why microsoft keep bringing out new operating systems because i have always used the old saying ..... if its not broke dont fix it.

Last edited:
If you have 1 bug every 1000000 runs it is a huge problem also if statistics says no.
However here the problems are not rare as testified by others.
Can you tell by the video if the issue for him (or anybody else) was with windows or with the internet connection?! Or with him compiling on all cores with real time priority, or with his anti-virus? or, or, or, or.

The original start menu was just a collection of shortcut files and if somebody wants only that then they can make a folder on the desktop and dump all of their shortcut icons into that and have a good time, organize by making even more folders.
You can even pin that folder to quick access or to start, that is even going to be windows update compatible, if you want to keep living in 1998 there is nothing stopping you.

NinoPino

Commendable
May 26, 2022
Can you tell by the video if the issue for him (or anybody else) was with windows or with the internet connection?! Or with him compiling on all cores with real time priority, or with his anti-virus? or, or, or, or.
Please do not try to use mirrors to justify bad programming. It is a simple menu, not a nuclear power plant. There are simple ways to prevent such bugs also in case of connection problems, low memory, high CPU usage, slow disk and so on.
The original start menu was just a collection of shortcut files and if somebody wants only that then they can make a folder on the desktop and dump all of their shortcut icons into that and have a good time, organize by making even more folders.
You can even pin that folder to quick access or to start, that is even going to be windows update compatible, if you want to keep living in 1998 there is nothing stopping you.
Not my case, I prefer to have a rapid, simple, customizable and performant Start Menu that work flawlessly 100% of the times.
Like in Windows 7 for example.
Not too difficult to do 15 years ago, it seems programmers have become dumb.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
It has always puzzled me why microsoft keep bringing out new operating systems because i have always used the old saying ..... if its not broke dont fix it.
I think they can't help themselves. If they don't "innovate" they stagnate and surrender their entire business. If they can't come up with good ideas or tech, they will come up with ANYTHING just to sell then next OS and be able to say they've "innovated".
Most new features they announce always seem unneccessary to me. Maybe that's on me, but usualy those new feature break old features :grinning:

Vista was by far the worst. These kids... they don't know they're born. Windows 8 was annoying and 10 and 11 have their issues, but these are just issues. Vista was completely hopeless. And coming off the heels of a very good Windows version. Oh well.