News Ex-Windows developer calls Windows 11 Start menu performance 'comically bad,' even with a Core i9 and 128GB of RAM

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I think they can't help themselves. If they don't "innovate" they stagnate and surrender their entire business. If they can't come up with good ideas or tech, they will come up with ANYTHING just to sell then next OS and be able to say they've "innovated".
Most new features they announce always seem unneccessary to me. Maybe that's on me, but usualy those new feature break old features :grinning:

Vista was by far the worst. These kids... they don't know they're born. Windows 8 was annoying and 10 and 11 have their issues, but these are just issues. Vista was completely hopeless. And coming off the heels of a very good Windows version. Oh well.

I agree with you 100% and everytime a n op sys comes out games and software makers more often than not have to do some re-writing or we have to experiment with compatibility modes.

It does not only happen with pc's though , almost everyday when i turn on my samsung A13 smart phone and my samsung tablet i am greeted with user interface updates and after some i get messages that some of my apps may no longer work.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I think they can't help themselves. If they don't "innovate" they stagnate and surrender their entire business. If they can't come up with good ideas or tech, they will come up with ANYTHING just to sell then next OS and be able to say they've "innovated".
Most new features they announce always seem unneccessary to me. Maybe that's on me, but usualy those new feature break old features :grinning:

Vista was by far the worst. These kids... they don't know they're born. Windows 8 was annoying and 10 and 11 have their issues, but these are just issues. Vista was completely hopeless. And coming off the heels of a very good Windows version. Oh well.
The issue for Microsoft is the OS has become minor and a shrinking business for them (only about 10% of revenue). They are losing server marketshare extremely fast and OEM PC sales have been flat/trending downish for a long time. Cloud now makes up the vast majority of Microsofts sales which ironically is largely Linux based now.

Microsoft really only has two choices:

1. keep things as they are and milk money out of it as long as they can with minor updates
2. Increase the cycle and charge for updates.

In this day and age I'm not so sure option 2 would work. I don't see people being willing to buy a new OS every couple of years. My guess is option 1 is what is going to happen until it's no longer profitable at which point who knows what happens.

https://i0.wp.com/fourweekmba.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/microsoft-business-model.png?resize=1024,772&ssl=1

The issue for Microsoft is the OS has become minor and a shrinking business for them (only about 10% of revenue). They are losing server marketshare extremely fast and OEM PC sales have been flat/trending downish for a long time. Cloud now makes up the vast majority of Microsofts sales which ironically is largely Linux based now.

Microsoft really only has two choices:

1. keep things as they are and milk money out of it as long as they can with minor updates
2. Increase the cycle and charge for updates.

In this day and age I'm not so sure option 2 would work. I don't see people being willing to buy a new OS every couple of years. My guess is option 1 is what is going to happen until it's no longer profitable at which point who knows what happens.

https://i0.wp.com/fourweekmba.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/microsoft-business-model.png?resize=1024,772&ssl=1
You forgot the 3rd one and most likely: subscription model for Windows.

Regards.

Reactions: 35below0

USAFRet

Titan
The VAST majority of people don't "buy" the OS.
They buy a prebuilt, and use whatever it comes with.

Very secondarily, they build a new system and do the free upgrade.
Retiring the old system.

That's covered by option two.
I don't want to get into semantics, but for me those are different things.

A subscription model gets rid of "versioning" and you only pay for the right to use the OS, not even the license.

This is obviously outrageous in my head, but I'm sure MS will find a way to make it work and trick people into it.

I mean, they're aggresively making people move into creating their accounts and "linking" their Windows keys with the promise if they use their account, then their Windows will be installed without the need to put the key ever again. What they don't tell you about is the long term plan, which is more or less the same as having a Netflix or Adobe account or Office 365 account.

Regards.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I don't want to get into semantics, but for me those are different things.

Perhaps "charge for features" was the wording I should have chosen as it was my intent and the reason I said "charge for updates" and not "charge for upgrades".

This is obviously outrageous in my head, but I'm sure MS will find a way to make it work and trick people into it.

I'm almost positive it will be tried at some point, I don't think it will be for Win 12, but maybe. My guess is MS will "give away" the base OS, but lock features behind a paywall, especially anything new with the AI keyword. I could see this as a mix of one time fees ($50 to unlock WSL for example) and subscriptions ($10 a month for local/latest model Co-Pilot). I could even see them locking gaming behind a pay wall saying you need an Xbox subscription to game online like they do for the Xbox.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS