Exclusive: DirectX 12 Will Allow Multi-GPU Between GeForce And Radeon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrutalAttis

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I had to double check that it was not a 1st of April article; I for one will not be the first to try this come Win 10 … lol. Amazing, concept if it takes off. Lower level APIs is really want we need on PC platforms and unified frame buffer seems way too good to be true.

Djibrille

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

This kind of comment makes me mad! What gives you the right to say that people who sometimes work 60-80 hours a week are lazy? Did you ever program anything in your life? I am only an amateur programmer but I can tell you that programming is very hard.
What kind of real work do you do, besides playing all day long the game that the developers you slander make?
Do you think that in today's very competitive game developing industry any developer can afford to be lazy?
Grow up you spoiled kid!!!!

Not to mention its never the people doing the work who make the decisions! Profit >>>> quality unfortunately (usually with big studio games)

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
DX12 doesn't magically make every game using it crossfire/sli ready. It still takes the developer or should I say the publisher to decide to use it. Many games don't get optimized for multiple gpu so there will still be many that this wont help much if not at all. But if they do use it, it would improve performance significantly. I wonder if this would help with frame pacing if its playing like a single gpu.

Asynchronous GPU support:

Don't hold your breath on mixed GPU support. Implementation has to make financial sense for a game developer. The initial technical support is probably a nightmare eating up any potential benefit over the hype the game gets.

In a few years I can see a DX12 version of UNREAL 4 being baked with tech to make this easier but starting with a small boost by offloading limited tasks to an iGPU (like PhysX does already).

More advanced techniques probably going to take a long time.

Janemba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
i hope they can make Intel HD as Windows main renderer. and Dedicated GPU as gaming/editing renderer. so when we are not in gaming the dedicated GPU will totally stand by and the fan is turned off. since integrated graphic today are powerfull enough to do Hardware acceleration in browsing and H.264 video. and hopelly H.265 video.

first of all to benefit from DX12 those old games must be ported to DX12. can you use DX11 optimization or feature for games that created solely on DX9? so this is not about smart enough or not. to benefit from the new API the game need to be ported or created from the scratch to use DX12 to take advantage of the benefit.

Protoapex

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Holy crap. Can you imagine putting in 4-5 750 Tis that cannot SLI, but could theoretically work using DX12? Not to mention the power savings you get for only using the mobo to supply power to the PCI lanes.

larkspur

Distinguished

Nah. You're better off selling the 770, saving the money and then in the future buying some new or used card when there is actually support for this in DX12 games. We're still a long way away from having DX12 games and even longer for DX12 to be properly utilized by developers. This sounds great, but we'll have to wait to see how well multi-GPU is optimized from game to game.

It is then left to the game developer to divide the workload up however they see fit

in the end it comes t o this right? just like there is no crossfire support for Sniper Elite 3 in Mantle.

DirectX 12 will remove the 4 + 4 = 4 idea and will work with a new frame rendering method called SFR

is SFR really new thing? i thought SFR was there along with AFR since the beginning. also i heard that SFR did not really take off because the poor scaling beat the purpose of going for multi gpu config in the first place

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
It'll be interesting to see how this gets implemented in practice. And we all thought that multi-card configuration with a single vendor's driver was a pain in the ass. Apparently we ain't seen nothing yet...

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
"Nvidia GeForce GPUs will be able to work in tandem with AMD Radeon GPUs to render the same game – the same frame, even"
"There is a catch, however. Lots of the optimization work for the spreading of workloads is left to the developers – the game studios."

Not only Nvidia was the one that closed ability to use Nvidia card for physx if AMD card is detected. But we all know how Nvidia works with game studios, helping them out with development only if they don't optimize(or badly optimise) for AMD hardware.
One would think it would be even worse if Nvidia would allow for such a thing. Something like rendering much better if Nvidia is connected to monitor or something else, i mean ho knows what they could do.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
This is massive. If you had Iris-pro as your on-die GPU and they can start assigning certain jobs to that GPU to work in tandem with whatever stand-alone GPU(s) you have, it will have a dramatic effect on gaming. Like someone else said, once the kinks are out and developers embrace this fully.

Gary Host

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Expect Ngreedia to implement driver 'fixes' to block anything that will allow multi make gpu´s to run in the same system. Ngreedia doesn't even allow their own cards, if they are 2 years old to be run as dedicated physX to a newer card.

sonofhendrix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why they have an utterly useless redundant GPU embedded in their Intel Core processor, which never gets utilized for games or calculations, since 99% of PC enthusiasts have a Video Card... I would like to see DirectX 12 utilize this embedded GPU alongside my external video card. Either that or i want that thing off my CPU die, and replaced with more CPU cores instead.

sonofhendrix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
And yes Nvidia should also market their GPUs as a Physx card to work alongside an AMD GPU.. Its one way to grab more market share, from people that already own an AMD card. I personally would add an Nvidia card as Physx.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I wonder how well it would work for mixed performance cards in reality; for example, if you test the GPUs and find that one is half as powerful as the other, could you divide the rendering into a one-third slice and a two-third slice?

That said I'm personally not too fussy about Crossfire/SLI; IMO it's not worth the expense and headaches when you're usually better off just buying a really good single card for the same money. Meanwhile when it comes to a discrete GPU + integrated graphics, it's better to assign the integrated graphics background tasks (e.g - pre-processing textures, physics etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.