Exclusive: 'Nehalem' at 2.9GHz and X58

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here's what I want to know... if you have a triple channel DDR3 controller, does that mean you need a matched pair of 3 DIMMS?

Has anyone else read detailed info about this?

Also, has anyone else dreamed of bumping up that 133 to 166, with the 22x multiplier, and getting 3.6 gigahertz out of that 2.93GHZ stock chip?

3.6 GHZ Nehalem!! The overclock seems too easy to be true.

Mante

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Nice micro, but when are they going to change their retention clips for the coolers, they are Sh*** (it seems they are gonna use the same old system).
Sorry for my bad english XD

Yes you will need 3 matched pairs to get triple channel. I am sure there will be three DIMM matched sets from all the memory companies.

The OC seems easy but we have to wait and see. Although every time they have been previewing Nehalem Intel seems to state its OCing is easy and higher than normal.

I am anxious to see the benchmarks as well and see if THW comes out to the same results as Anandtech did. If they do then it will be nice. A boost in performance like that would be awesome.

JoeNasr

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
You know, I'm actually a bit sad -

This is going to sound stupid, but I've had my heart set on 8 GB of RAM in my Nehalem build...

BUT ITS NOT A FRACKING MULTIPLE OF 3!! Six just seems wrong, and 12 is too much... isn't it?

justinjkiss

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
looks to be a great overclocker... 30% to start with then 25% more from stock ill be happy.

I think that AMD might have something up their sleve though... Nobody thought that ATI would have came out with a graphics card that matchs performance at half the price... Lets just hope AMD can because then there will be pricing wars again on the CPU side that hasnt been seen in a long time

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Did i saw 24G of ram?!? Microsoft should really think about making a OS that support more than 4G, or we will be wasting some potential somewere!

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
I don't really understand all the excitement. I remember reading the THG skulltrail guide and looking at the benches. The only significant improvement was in rendering. Renderers load cpu's up very well generally speaking hence the significance of 8 cores. So for all those actually looking at buying a Nehalem chip, have you asked yourself "what am I going to do with it?". I'd be saving money on a cheaper build and keeping a close eye on the software front and upgrading to perhaps 16 cores in 2010, if of course the software warrants it.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Actually there are supposed to be a few lovely LGA775 Nehalem's available Q2 '09. I'm currently happy with my E8400 4GB DDR2 and HD 4870 though, won't need to upgrade for a good long time :).

Regardless the new chipset and LGA1366 system looks awesome. The chips are going to be huge and hot. Triple channel RAM- 6 slots on the board is crazy. These huge regular boards are starting to look like server boards, I can't wait to see if they release a Nehalem Skulltrail! 12 RAM Slots! :D
I'm glad to see that Intel is going with AMD's onboard memory controller style, regardless of how far AMD is behind, it still seems like a better way to go.
The only downside is if Intel locks their chips, so people aren't able to overclock.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]draxssab[/nom]Did i saw 24G of ram?!? Microsoft should really think about making a OS that support more than 4G, or we will be wasting some potential somewere![/citation]
Ever heard of 64-bit?

G

Please please dont have it titled, "Exclusive: 'Nehalem' at 2.9ghz..." and then not show some performance numbers.

Title it like "Nehalem platform info" or something, I dont know, I found this misleading.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
JoeNasr,

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3GB sticks released in the upcoming months, to a) cut down on build cost and b) to allow for a better combination of RAM and longer upgrade path.

So you could get 3 X 2GB + 2 x 1GB. It's not perfect, but it'll at least work.

G

Sorry, doomsdaydave11, but Nehalem will NEVER release on LGA775. The two sockets I've heard mentioned are LGA1366 and LGA1160 -- pulling the memory controller onto the CPU and the death of the FSB means the LGA775 is a no-go for Nehalem!

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]lobofanina[/nom]People running Supreme Commander Forged Alliance could put that extra power to use in a heartbeat. [/citation]

Ooooh, the poorly running expansion to one game will see a mild benefit, possibly almost making it run as well as the original did to begin with. I'm excited!

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]JoeNasr[/nom]You know, I'm actually a bit sad - This is going to sound stupid, but I've had my heart set on 8 GB of RAM in my Nehalem build...BUT ITS NOT A FRACKING MULTIPLE OF 3!! Six just seems wrong, and 12 is too much... isn't it?[/citation]

Hey my friend. Why not do 2+2+4 (2GB in 1st and 2nd channel and 4bg in the 3rd)? That's 8GB in my book :)

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]JoeNasr[/nom]You know, I'm actually a bit sad - This is going to sound stupid, but I've had my heart set on 8 GB of RAM in my Nehalem build...BUT ITS NOT A FRACKING MULTIPLE OF 3!! Six just seems wrong, and 12 is too much... isn't it?[/citation]

Meh... 8GB of ram is so 2007. LOL!!!! Reach for the stars with 12GB. :p Anyways, I am drooling at the thought of 24GB of ram.

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So, does any memory manufactures make 4GB modules of DDR3 memory? I know G.Skill makes 4GB modules of DDR2 800, just wondering about DDR3.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
They always NDA benchies and what not till whatever date they want the performance revealed. Very common thing and doesn't mean that the performance is whack. Now if a product is launching and a site has to buy there own equipment to reveal some benchies than you get to wonderin'.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]zipz0p[/nom]Suddenly, my P35 chipset, Q9450 and DDR2 seem horribly inadequate.[/citation]

Bah, they do the job.
I am having no problems running anything with my x38 much less an x48.

I won't be "upgrading" anything until this stuff becomes mainstream and the prices comes way down from what they will be.

don't be pressured by marketing. When you have problems with programs and games then you upgrade. Otherwise there is no need to go there.
I am happy with my mazimus and q6600.

Bullrun

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Seems like Anand had also some exclusive Material about Nehalem , and even a unsupervised System to do some benchmarks ..

Bottom line: Even with a pre-alpha prototype hardware they had ,Nehalem seems to be at least 30 % faster than c2 at the same clock speed.

Nehalem looks already like a winner,Intel propably keeps the promise of a big "Tock" after the little "Tick" which was the Conroe-Facelift Penryn.
Its a shame they finally gave up S775 and DDR2.Im sure Intel was able to make Nehalem S775 compatible,nobody can tell me that nehalem needs nearly the double amount of pins for some strange reason.Im sure they had to design a Nehalem - board nearly from scratch ,because its not fsb based anymore. New socket its absolutely ok in this case,Nehalem ist completely incompatible to anything else,you had to buy at least a new board anyway.Most of us had also to buy new DDR3-Memory,but now for a good reason.Superfast QuickPath-Connection instead of FSB-Bottlenecks,much more higher mem-clock speeds and even a additional 3rd channel badly needs fast DDR3 to show the potential of the new Quickpath-design.The former bottleneck its now wide open and DDR3 must get much more faster even to come anywear near the new bandwith-limit again (if there is any!) Dont let the CPU-Z shot fool you, the Rated FSB isnt correct or doenst even exist anymore.The new Nehalem base-speed of 133 was just quad pumped(x4) to 534M like any Pentium. Pumping,dividing and multiplying the frequencys with each other is finally over.Each bus now operates independently from the others.
I believe Nehalem becomes a even bigger success than c2d. Even Anand`s early Alpha Prototype System at 2,66 GHz was faster than an QX9770 at 3,2.

Check for yourself, i just cant wait to lay my hands on Nehalem :)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326

Status
Not open for further replies.