Expanding a RAID - Rebuild needed or not?

maillme

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Hi there,

I have a Buffalo TerraStation 4400

It can accept 4 x 4Tb

I have purchased 2 x 2tb for now, and was wondering, if I build a RAID array, can I add the other 2 disks (when I can afford it) to the array, or will I have to rebuild the full thing again?

I looked at the specs (I am completely new to RAID's etc) and it is not clear to me if this is possible.

The closest I can find to an answer is this:

" users can start by installing one drive and add up to three additional drives as storage and
back-up requirements grow."

But it's not clear.

Any help is appreciated.
Neil

Solution
It appears you will have to contact Buffalo's tech support to get a definitive answer but I do not see Raid Expansion or Raid migration listed in any of the documentation so I suspect that a full raid setup from scratch will be required.

Is there a detailed users manual that came with the unit? There is only the quick setup guide on their site.

popatim

Titan
It appears you will have to contact Buffalo's tech support to get a definitive answer but I do not see Raid Expansion or Raid migration listed in any of the documentation so I suspect that a full raid setup from scratch will be required.

Is there a detailed users manual that came with the unit? There is only the quick setup guide on their site.

Solution

maillme

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Thanks Popatim, no detailed user manual - as I was searching for the same.

It's ok, I think I have made the decision to sit it out until I purchase a further 2 drives. Then have a RAID 5 setup of 16tb (12tb)

thanks again for your response,
neil