Experiences with IBM 75GXP?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was about to order a 75GXP after hearing great things about them, but now I've come across some posts mentioning problems with them.

What have your experiences been (good or bad) with this series of drives?

Thanks.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Simply great. Fast, quiet, and reliable.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

No problems yet, as I have yet to have any IBM drive fail on me. I have had several Maxtor and Western Digital drives fail on me and friends. I have two IBM 75GXP 45Gb drives, one 18Gb and one 9Gb drive. All work great.

G

Well so far I haven't been able to get mine to work properly on my A7V mobo. I've explained it in the post "frustrated IBM 75GXP owner" on the 2nd page. Have a read. I know it's a great drive because I've read tons of reviews, that's why I bought it. Chances are if you don't have an A7V you won't run into any hitches at all.

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Put up another mark in the "Fast & quite" column. Asus P2B, Promise U100, 75GXP 45GB, no problems.

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That Promise 100 you have.......is it the SuperTrak or the FastTrak..? Someone suggested the former to me recently, and although ive been able to read up on the FastTrak, i can find little or no reviews of the SuperTrak. It seems to be a real sweet card, but for $323 i wanna be fairly sure
Im considering doing what sounds like exactly what you did....2- 45 gig GXPs and the Promise 100..i think i MAY go for the SuperTrak

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
All drives have their problems!

And its natural for the top selling to have more problems reported , since they sell a lot more than the others!

Don´t be concerned ! Its a great drive !

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live

sean74

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I'm running an A7V with an IBM 75GXP Deskstar 45GB and that's the only device on this system that hasn't given me any problems. 45GB is a good size though, partition or put up with 32kb pages. (16gb is the biggest you can get with 8kb pages)

G

I just recently purchased a 45GB version. Easy install. Fast performance. It's not loud. I have used Maxtor, WD, and Seagate drives in the past and none hold a candle to this one.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

G

After having 2 Quantums fail on me, and another on the way, I have just purchased a IBM unit and so far so good, as you guys say, fast and quiet

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for all of your replies. It sounds like an excellent drive, but I found a great deal on a DiamondMax at a computer show so I bought that. I've had a DiamondMax for 1 1/2 years now and I've been happy with it.

I'll definitely keep an IBM drive in mind for my next system. I used IBM drives several years ago and never had any problems with them.

Thanks again for your input.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"