Question Experiences with Intel Arc A770 ?

Endre

Reputable
Hello!

In the past I had in mind to purchase an nVidia RTX 3060 Ti, but now I am more interested into buying an Intel Arc A770 video card, as I've seen benchmarks online showing the Intel GPU beating the nVidia one in DX12 & Vulkan games.

I am not a gamer, but I do like shooter games such as Call of Duty.

My setup:
CPU: Intel i7-9700K
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
Monitor: ViewSonic 27" 4K UHD

Questions:
  1. Did anyone on this forum experience with Intel Arc A770?
  2. Are there any downsides to switching from nVidia to Intel? (I don't care about old games).

There is no chance in hell of the A770 beating the RTX 3060 TI in anything. It has like HALF the 3d performance of the RTX 3060 TI.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/4605vs4318/Intel-Arc-A770-vs-GeForce-RTX-3060-Ti

In actual gaming benchmarks it scores well below those of the 3060 ti.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-arc-a770-limited-edition-review/4

Anybody can fake benchmarks showing anything they want them to show. And they do do it, all the time. If you don't see it in a professional review, you should be seriously questioning the legitimacy of whatever it is. Not to mention, so far it seems they have some very real driver problems that still haven't been fully sorted out.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Tom's review is all the way back from october and drivers has taken turn for the better since then, and ue 770 perfoms in the more of less same ballpark as 3060ti sometimes even a notch faster.

Having said that i would probably advise against buying 770 right now, there's no decisive advantage on going team blue right now, they are as expensive as 3060ti, and drivers, while much better now, still not quite as mature as they should have been, esp when it comes to older titles. And considering 2nd generation cards are just around the corner ... you might as well wait a little longer rather than buying a year 1 truck so to speak :)

Reactions: Endre
Well, this review is from November, not October, and results are pretty much the same as the TH review. Although, it does seem to trend that the higher the resolution, the closer the margin in performance becomes, so if you are playing at 1440p it MIGHT be an ok choice if the price is significantly lower. The problem is, it's really not. And for 4k, forget it unless you are ok with turning a lot of the eye candy off.

At 1080p though, if that is what you are targeting, there are a couple of titles where the A770 ALMOST gets a tie at higher resolutions with the 3060 ti but at 1080p it doesn't even come close in ANY title, and in some of them including Shadow of the tomb raider and The witcher 3, there are significantly larger performance gaps as much as almost 60FPS in some games. I'm really doubtful that there have been any driver improvements since early November that have resulted in closing a 50-60 FPS difference in performance but given that it IS a work in progress I will concede that it might technically be possible but I'd certainly want to see some professional confirmation of it if so as there isn't a single Youtuber or Reddit contributor that I'd trust to count 3 beans even if I knew ahead of time there were only three beans.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_arc_a770_review,1.html

Endre

Reputable
There is no chance in hell of the A770 beating the RTX 3060 TI in anything. It has like HALF the 3d performance of the RTX 3060 TI.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/4605vs4318/Intel-Arc-A770-vs-GeForce-RTX-3060-Ti

In actual gaming benchmarks it scores well below those of the 3060 ti.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-arc-a770-limited-edition-review/4

Anybody can fake benchmarks showing anything they want them to show. And they do do it, all the time. If you don't see it in a professional review, you should be seriously questioning the legitimacy of whatever it is. Not to mention, so far it seems they have some very real driver problems that still haven't been fully sorted out.

Hmmm.
Those benchmarks do show the nVidia card doing better, but those might be old benchmarks.
Intel solved some of their driver issues.

Also, Intel does better at 1440p and 4K, than at 1080p.

Also, resizable BAR must be enabled from the BIOS menu when using Intel cards.

Serious YouTubers such as Level1Tech tested Intel Arc A770 recently and puts the card between an RTX 3060 Ti and an RTX 3070.

I am curious of hearing from somebody that bought and used the card for some time.

Reactions: Bazzy 505
The first review is not "old" but is from October, so potentially not relevant anymore since newer driver updates.

The second review is from November, so also not "old" and a few weeks newer than the previous review. Looking around, I don't see ANY reviews showing significant changes since that article was published that would lead me to believe there are verifiable improvements in the performance of the A770. Some random Youtuber video upload is not convincing evidence, or even "evidence" at all for that matter.

You are not going to find anybody who has "bought and used the card for some time" because these cards have NOT BEEN OUT for "some time". They were only released in October, and the FACT remains that the evidence says the 3060 ti outperforms it. But the Arc 770 is also a lot less expensive, so if you are willing to deal with any potential driver issues that might cause problems in some cases on certain games or other teething pains, then it might be worthwhile especially since the least expensive 3060 ti I see right now is like 640 dollars and you can get a 770 for like 350 bucks.

May 18, 2023
I have an Intel A770 LE 16gb, 12900k, 64gb 3600mhz DDR4 trident z neo cl16 ddr4 ram and the latest drivers have given a fan curve and the ability to actually let me OC the card and it actually does make a difference it's so close to a 3070ti and beats a 3070 and at 4k smashed both the 16gb of vram makes a huge difference check the hogworts comparison on YouTube

Endre

Reputable
I have an Intel A770 LE 16gb, 12900k, 64gb 3600mhz DDR4 trident z neo cl16 ddr4 ram and the latest drivers have given a fan curve and the ability to actually let me OC the card and it actually does make a difference it's so close to a 3070ti and beats a 3070 and at 4k smashed both the 16gb of vram makes a huge difference check the hogworts comparison on YouTube

I am so glad to hear that.
nVidia has too much control over the GPU industry!
nVidia is at fault for these crazy prices!
My next video card will be from Intel!

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
How's their Linux driver support? Is there any bump?
ive got a ARC 770 not for main use so my experience is limited
ive seen a few videos where linux driver support isnt great ..
the OC software and monitoring software packages are pretty simplistic and easy to use no fancy over the top BS..
mines pared with the 5600x for now seems to work like a treat they are constantly updating the drivers..
how long is a peice of string on games i mean without a 3060 ti to compare you can only go by reviews and find the games you want to play and compare !!

so far ive found the card to be great the16gb is a big win over most of this 8gb rubbish..

my reasoning for the ARC770 was just to see what the card was all about but so far im really impressed with it does what it says on the box and is quite cheap in doing it !!

I think there are some production programs that the ARC is beating even Nvidia in ( streaming or something ??? not sure )