Explain OC to me please.

Jul 23, 2018
Walk me through the 1 2 3, like i'm mentally challenged.

I OC CPU
Ryzen 5 1600 to 3.8 with different offset. It seems to be ok with anything I set +.01250 or more.
I don't know if it's stable or not.

Different stress test seems to give me different results.
Aida64 seems to be the most stable, setting to stress on CPU. Giving me temperature around 60-64 C for all voltage increase.

Prime95 latest version, give me temperature that make me think my CPU is going to combust at any moment. I get temperature reading from HWMonitor of above 94 C and going up, which is wtf ?
OCCT , CPU : OCCT setting gives me around the same, except it take it up around 5C more in HWMonitor.

Someone walk me through this slowly, this doesn't make any sense.
RealBench just seem to freeze my PC after a few minutes.

This is just CPU, not GPU yet.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
You aim for the fastest possible clock for the CPU with least voltage required to.keep it stable under full load, given temp under 90c with a load equivalent to prime95. Period.
I would use PC normally for.your tasks. I never stess with prime95. Game, work or do whatever you use your PC for and keep an eye on temp and stability.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
If RealBench is freezing your PC, your overclock is not stable. RealBench is a pretty well trusted tool for testing stability, so you're at least using the correct tools.When you say you "don't know if it's stable or not"...if something is crashing/freezing (like RealBench), it is NOT stable.

Different programs use different methods to "stress" the CPU. So for example, the AIDA64 test is a fairly low-stress test when compared with Prime95. So the differences between programs are very much expected.

Jul 23, 2018

a 40+ C difference is only expected ?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
When testing with the latest version of Prime95, yes it is.

However, most folks would recommend you test with version 26.6...this older version does not use certain instruction sets, and temperatures stay a bit more reasonable. It's considered a slightly more realistic test for "normal" workloads (gaming, browsing, videos,etc.)

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I think the first question you should ask yourself is "do I need to overclock"
It's cool and all and "free" performance is nice, but most users will never notice the difference in ordinary usage and should just stick to stock speeds.
That's my 2c anyway.

With regard to your results I agree with previous comments. You should read some overclocking guides and watch some youtube videos, set your CPU back to stock, and start again. Make a small change, test the CPU for stability, then make another. If it freezes back it off a step or two.

Jul 23, 2018

Except most guides/video now have a "i expect you to know what a bit of these are already" so most of them comes back with little to no answer on the basic.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
That's right, and learning about this stuff isn't really easy...there's so many variations of boards, chips, bios settings that there really is no way to do a one size fits all beginner guide.

So what do you do? Keep watching the videos and reading the guides and articles. If you get to a part you don't understand, or if the video mentions something you're not familiar with...stop, and look it up. YES, this might lead you down a rabbit hole of watching videos to understand the last video, but the point is the whole time you are doing this you are learning. You'll keep encountering the same terminology. You'll keep seeing the same process mentioned. So it's really about taking advantage of all of those "lateral references"...a video might be talking about overclocking your GPU, but the presenter also mentions a new CPU benchmark program he just started using...that kind of thing.

It's like anything else, be patient and have a "learners mind", don't expect to find one webpage that walks you through the entire process. Just read, watch, and learn.

Jul 23, 2018

Not a single video/post mentioned how using a OC software from the same manufacturer as the GPU could result in a better OC. Which is what end up happening to me earlier today.
I have Zotac 1070 Ti Mini, used MSI afterburner, constantly getting black screen, even when I tone down the OC to +50. Black screen even when I just sit idle on startup. Reset windows, OC on firestorm. The worse i got from unstable OC was game crash. Haven't gotten a single black screen of death so far.
OC guides and videos are horrible.
I get a feeling that OC is different for everyone and everyone just have to learn from hearing randomly correct things on forums/videos and then figure everything out themselves.