Explorer shows external lan drive as IP

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I've got a 3Tb Seagate external drive. It's connected to the LAN on my gateway, and I'm able to log in with my NW password and access the files.
In Windows 7 Explorer under Network, I see the drive with the name I gave it. Under Computer, I see my main C: drive AND the names of the two folders I created on the networked Seagate, and each has Red X in front of it:
X (\\192.168.1.1) ( Y: )
X (\\192.168.1.2) ( Z: )

But...if I click them directly, I get a "Network path not found" message.

WHY are the folders listed separately under "Computer" and why can't I access them?

Also, I just ran the Seagate Discovery Tool, and it doesn't see the drive that's listed in Explorer.

Thank you!

Solution
I looked that the 3 TB Seagate External drives and as near as I can determine all are USB.

So you are probably connecting the Seagate external drive to the USB port on the Ubee.

You can assign drive letters to the partitions on the Seagate.

You do not need to have to or to put any IP addresses in the pathnames to the external drive partitions.

The Ubee may need to be configured to share the 3 TB Seagate USB drive partitions.

What model modem/router Ubee are you using?

I would like to take a look at the applicable User Manual/Guide and hopefully direct you to the specific setup requirements.

Ralston18

Titan
Question regarding "gateway": A Gateway computer or Default Gateway with respect to the router?

Per "It's connected to the LAN" I trust you mean with an ethernet cable from the external drive to a LAN port on the router.

That implies that the drive is a NAS (Network Area Storage) device.

Did you assign the IP to the Seagate external drive (static IP) or set it up to get its IP from the router (DHCP).

I would expect that the Router's IP would be 192.168.1.1 and the Seagate would be assigned a static IP such as 192.168.1.2

Your Computer will have a IP address also. Hopefully assigned via DHCP and from a range of IP addresses that do not include 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

Or are you connecting the external drive via a USB cable to the USB port on the router? That is a different setup and configuration....

Anyway my thought is that you have just misconfigured things a bit. What would really help is some more information about your router and the external drive. Maybe a simple sketch of your network.

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

The "Gateway" I referred to is my Ubee Modem/router. I go ethernet out from the Seagate to a port on the Ubee, and it is listed in Windows Explorer under Networks, where I can login to it with my Username/Password.

Windows *has* assigned drive letters (I have two partitions on the Seagate). In Explorer they are listed under Computer along with my Local Disk C: as:
[a red "X" precedes the ip] (\\192.168.1.1) ( Y: )
[a red "X" precedes the ip] (\\192.168.1.2) ( Z: )

From ipconfig, my Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the IPv4 address is 192.168.0.11

Does that help?

Ralston18

Titan
I looked that the 3 TB Seagate External drives and as near as I can determine all are USB.

So you are probably connecting the Seagate external drive to the USB port on the Ubee.

You can assign drive letters to the partitions on the Seagate.

You do not need to have to or to put any IP addresses in the pathnames to the external drive partitions.

The Ubee may need to be configured to share the 3 TB Seagate USB drive partitions.

What model modem/router Ubee are you using?

I would like to take a look at the applicable User Manual/Guide and hopefully direct you to the specific setup requirements.

Solution