Question My PC shuts down while playing some games. Need advice?

May 18, 2024
Ok, the problem is such, when I am working on the PC(After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere pro and etc.) or playing some games (Wow, Palworld, BG3 for instance or emulation) or use it for other purposes the PC works fine. When I play games like Victoria 3, Europa Universalis IV, Cyberpunk 2077, Warhammer 40,000 - Rogue Trader, it will just turn off after 10 min to an hour of gaming. It then will not turn on again unless I press the Power Button for several times. After which it will star like normal, no strange noises, no strange smells or lights.

Here are the specs:
CPU - I5-10600K 6 CORES 4.1GHZ
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Motherboard ASROCK B560M-HDV
RAM - KINGSTON FURY BEAST BLACK 32GB(2X16GB)
SSD1 - SOLID STATE DRIVE (SSD) SILICON POWER XD80 M.2-2280 PCIE GEN 3X4 NVMRE 256GB
SSD2 - Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB
HDD - WD PURPLE , 2TB, 5400RPM, 64MB, SATA 3, WD20PURZ
PSU - EWENT EW3908, ATX 600W V3.1
Windows 10 Pro

So here is what I have done with this PC. I have changed the GPU it started with a 1060 later upgraded it with a 3060. This caused overheating so I added 3 Arctic fans and lowered the FPS in games with fixed the overheating. During that I had 2-3 shutdowns due to overheating. I have stock air cooling due to at the time weird warranty for my CPU.
I have added the second SSD as well.
Now my question is what could be causing it? I doubt it is overheating, I know that I need to put better cooling but I have checked it right before a shut down and at worse i happens between 70-80 C on all cores.
I don't think its the SSD since some of the games are installed on the HDD and shut downs still happens.
Should I look for a new PSU or it's something with the motherboard or it could be a problem with the system? Or should I just give up and get it diagnosed at a service shop?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Whew, tell him how you really feel.

I think that *was* the measured response. The PSU is so terrifying that I'd consider it a challenge to not describe it with the crudest expletives and phrases in my repertoire. And I don't have a single warning point in 21,000 posts over nearly 15 years.

I only hope that the PSU hasn't permanently caused damage to the GPU or other components.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
May 18, 2024
Let us know how it works out.
Sorry for the bad English, not my first language and I am at work at the moment.
So what happened was this.
I took the PC to my most trusted service shop.
All of the PC parts were fine.
The PSU is garbage with a fan that was not working well, but it was not the main problem, overheating was. They tested this PC for a week.
We tested with a 750w PSU and PC was behaving well with both of them. But the PC would have higher temperatures and the case would not cool off quickly. The case just would not let the hot air out.
So a new open case with a better air cooler and fixed fan for the PSU and when I have the time and money in a month or two a better PSU to be on the safe side.
The best part was when I got home to start it up, I took it working from the service shop. It would not start unless I was holding the power cable at the right angle. It turns out that my power cable to the PSU was damage due the the overheating I guess, causing the random shut downs. I changed it and now no random shut downs and the PC keeps around 60 to 65 degrees for the GPU and around 60 for the CPU normal work (playing, rendering etc.), when stressed it the jumps to around 70.

TRENDING THREADS