jiggell

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I am building a new machine and have a version of windows xp that came with my Emachine that i have now, DO i need to purchase a new version to get it to load properly on a new SATA II HD with a new MB?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Making the assumption you have an OEM version of XP that is tied to the E-Machine hardware, the answer is yes. If your comp was pre-loaded, it's most especially yes.

jiggell

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Thats what i assumed, But the only original emachine hardware left in my comp is the CPU and I am still able to load windows. OH well i guess i will just go ahead and get a retail version of XP. Just tobe sure and save any hassle when i build the new machine.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You mean you still have THE MOTHERBOARD and the cpu as original?

If this is so, that's why you were still successful with your XP. You can change peripherals freely (usually) without XP grumbling too much. The mobo is the big kahuna when it comes to OEM XP running.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
If your original hard drive was PATA, your Windows version may still not load. Some are set up to load Windows only on the type of drive originally specified.

jiggell

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
No I do mean just the CPU is original from emachines. I had ro replace the motherboard about a year ago(MSI KM4M series). Anyways Yes I am changing Hard drive types (interface) IDE->SATA II. This may end up being the cause of me getting a new Copy of XP (retail). Thanks for the help.

riser

Illustrious
Keeping it simple, you have to buy a retail version.

When you buy a computer from a vendor, that version of Windows is only good on that computer, which is basically CPU/Mobo combo.