[SOLVED] Extending Router access by 400ft

Mar 1, 2021
Hi, the best and only internet I got is at&t dsl at 5mbs download speed. If I have the router in my house, is it possible to extend the wireless service to a barn 400ft away with minimal costs? The barn net wont be for heavy use, just to keep connected to messages etc.

I already have a trench and conduit running underground from the atnt box next to my house all the way to the barn. There is also a cat5 cable running down to the barn through the conduit, its hooked up to the barn router but i plan on bringing the router to the house for primary use, but extending it back down to the barn to have some connection there too. Would I bring the router/modem back to the house, and connect a wifi extender using that cat cable and place that in the barn? Do i need a switch or injector half way through so the signal doesn't deteriorate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Solution
You are over the limit of 100 meters for ethernet cable.

You might use what they call a ethernet extender. I have not looked at this technology in a while so I forget the details. It is a form of private DSL but it can go very long distances. Since you already have a slow internet connection the speed it runs likely will not be a issue.

To actually run ethernet you can in theory place a switch in the path. Problem is how do you get power to the switch and how do you protect it from the weather. There are POE powered switches. I only have a link for a very large 24 port one one but I suspect you can find 4 and 8 port ones. This only fixes the first problem. Finding a way you could say bury it and it still stay dry is...

You might use what they call a ethernet extender. I have not looked at this technology in a while so I forget the details. It is a form of private DSL but it can go very long distances. Since you already have a slow internet connection the speed it runs likely will not be a issue.

To actually run ethernet you can in theory place a switch in the path. Problem is how do you get power to the switch and how do you protect it from the weather. There are POE powered switches. I only have a link for a very large 24 port one one but I suspect you can find 4 and 8 port ones. This only fixes the first problem. Finding a way you could say bury it and it still stay dry is going to take some skill.

The only other way would be to run a fiber which I guess might be a option if you have conduit.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
It is possible it will work but it violates the standard at that point and you can except less throughput. Are you sure its 400 foot or are you guessing, maybe get a wheel and walk it off to be sure.

Mar 1, 2021

To actually run ethernet you can in theory place a switch in the path. Problem is how do you get power to the switch and how do you protect it from the weather. There are POE powered switches. I only have a link for a very large 24 port one one but I suspect you can find 4 and 8 port ones. This only fixes the first problem. Finding a way you could say bury it and it still stay dry is going to take some skill.

The only other way would be to run a fiber which I guess might be a option if you have conduit.
Thanks, I'll look into some poes. Also, if I choose to use ethernet over fiber, does it matter what device i use at the barn end for the best wireless connection? Do i have to buy another router or would a wifi extender work just fine?

Mar 1, 2021
It is possible it will work but it violates the standard at that point and you can except less throughput. Are you sure its 400 foot or are you guessing, maybe get a wheel and walk it off to be sure.
Good idea I'll walk it today, if you're slightly over the 100m though, is it only a slight deterioration?

If you go fiber the cheapest way tends to be a switch that has optical ports or accepts SFP modules. The price has come way down over the years so they are not that expensive. To get wifi in the remote building it is the same as if you use ethernet. You would use a AP or a router acting as a AP.