[SOLVED] Extending RT-AC68U coverage?

Jun 5, 2020
I don't know much about wifi, so please bear with me.

I recently bought an Asus RT-AC68U for my apartment, and it's covering most of the apartment, which is great. Unfortunately, there's a small area that's not getting internet. I could buy another Asus RT-AC68U, but that's overkill for the small area that needs coverage.

I want to extend my current network by just a few feet, even if the wireless signal isn't that great.

Two questions:
What's the cheapest way to extend coverage to the small area that doesn't get wifi? MY biggest concern is that I would like to continue connecting to the same network, not have to connect to another "network name" when this new device is added.

By adding this device, will it be included in the "mesh" so that I can still connect to the same "network name"? For example, my network (with the asus router) is called "AsusFloor8". If I add this device, will it create another network or will it be the same "AsusFloor8" but with a bit more coverage?

Thanks.

Solution
If you really only need a few feet consider getting a 25' network cable and moving your router to a more favorable location for whole-house coverage. You don't need to move the modem just the router. I have, many times, moved a router just a few feet (e.g. the other side of a door jam) to fix poor coverage in one spot.

The term 'mesh' can be used in wireless and wired networking and is more a reference to network design than the technology used. There are a few ways to extend your wireless coverage via extenders/repeaters. With extenders you will be using the same wireless SSID (network name). Repeaters and extenders can introduce their own issues though. If you can get away with moving your router that is still the best option.
If you really only need a few feet consider getting a 25' network cable and moving your router to a more favorable location for whole-house coverage. You don't need to move the modem just the router. I have, many times, moved a router just a few feet (e.g. the other side of a door jam) to fix poor coverage in one spot.

The term 'mesh' can be used in wireless and wired networking and is more a reference to network design than the technology used. There are a few ways to extend your wireless coverage via extenders/repeaters. With extenders you will be using the same wireless SSID (network name). Repeaters and extenders can introduce their own issues though. If you can get away with moving your router that is still the best option.

Solution