[SOLVED] External Drive not functioning

May 17, 2022
Hi, I have a WD My Passport 2TB drive. I’ve been doing some film work I last backed up two months ago, unfortunately. The drive is nearly full and probably a third isn’t backed up. I need someway to recover these files as there is no way for me to replace them. I was transferring a picture over to the drive and the drive started working very slowly then stopped altogether and I lost access to it. Sometimes I can get the drive to be recognized in disk management but it says it’s in RAW format and shows the drive as being 100% free of data. If I try to access the drive through explorer it freezes explorer. I’m using windows 10. Errors I’ve received are: D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. OR The remote procedure call failed OR D:\ is unavailable. I’ve been trying Chkdsk or scan now through CMD which both failed. I’ve also tried some data recovery software but when I scan nothing shows up. I’m kind of at the end of my rope and abilities. Can someone please suggest what I can do? I’m looking for a data recovery service but seems like it could be thousands of dollars. I’ll have to do it if there are no other options for me but I don’t have cash like that to throw around. If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks!

Solution
Hi, I have a WD My Passport 2TB drive.
The drive has integrated USB controller.
Your only option is using professional data recovery services.

With normal external drives (separate USB controller) you could remove it from USB enclosure and connect to pc directly with sata cables.
If only external USB electronics has failed, then it would be rather simple recovery.

This option is not available for your external drive.
Hi, I have a WD My Passport 2TB drive.
The drive has integrated USB controller.
Your only option is using professional data recovery services.

With normal external drives (separate USB controller) you could remove it from USB enclosure and connect to pc directly with sata cables.
If only external USB electronics has failed, then it would be rather simple recovery.

This option is not available for your external drive.

Reactions: Sllee
Solution