Question External dvd drive won't read one disc

mangaman

Honorable
I was using handbrake to rip the contents of a dvd that I own, to my hard drive. Handbrake recognized the disc, showed all chapters and subtitles and allowed me to transfer the content of that disc to my hard drive. I also used the official libdvdcss-2.dll from videolan in handbrakes files. However after a few minutes of ripping, the counter said that I would take roughly 4-5 hours to transfer everything from the disc to my hard drive. I stopped the process as I simply do not have the time to do that.

When I tried to reinsert the dvd into my external drive, the external dvd player would throw a "The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block." in event viewer and playing the disc would result in artifacts and glitches in MPC-BE, as well as VLC. I connected the external drive to my laptop and it threw the same error in event viewer. BUT here is the real kicker. The same disc works just fine on my laptop's internal dvd drive. No errors no glitches, it just plays fine.

And here is another kicker, all other dvds that I own work just fine in the external drive. So what the heck is going on???

mangaman

Honorable
Update: So I tried it on my friend's PS4 and it too would not recolonize the disc. Seems really strange that my laptop's internal dvd drive is the only thing that can read it. Again, the disc has no scratches and the surface is very clean.

mangaman

Honorable
Update 2: Around a month later, I decided to give this another shot. After some fiddling around, I stuck the dvd in my external drive, went to VLC --> media -> open disc -> and the path to the dvd. I then started the position at chapter 7 as that is where the actual dvd contents start and played the disc. It played fine, but had some very minor audio glitches every minute or so, but event viewer did not report any bad blocks.

I then ejected the disc and reinserted it into the external drive to confirm my results, but only to be back at square one. Yep, event viewer gave that bad block error after reinserting the disc. This is getting to be very strange!!

Again, that same disc plays fine on my laptop.

Last edited: