External Hard Drive Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewPatts

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Recently I reformatted my PC for reasons that would not be a factor in this issue (Wasn't a virus or anything of the sort). The issue being that my external hard drive, that prior to completing a clean install of Windows 7 (Windows 7 was installed previously as well) was working fine with my PC, now is denying me access. I connected it to my Mac and it worked fine, however on my PC I receive the error message "H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied."

I followed steps performing a "takeown" function via command prompt (in admin mode) to no avail. Recently after playing with the drives security properties I received the message that I must format the drive before use, which it is still working fine with my Mac.

The hard drive is a WD My Book 2TB.

Thank-you in advance for any insight or solutions that can be offered.

Solution
Yea sounds like a permissions thing. So this is what you need to do and lets see if it works.

Right click the External Drive in My Computer and go to Properties. From here go to security.

Note: If security tab not present then go back to My Computer and then click on File then Folder View for Vista and Windows 7. For XP and Windows 8 clck on View then Folder options. Then click on the View Tab Scrool to the bottom and uncheck use simple security.

Now go to the Security tab. Go ahead and click on the Advanced Button at the bottom. In this windows click on the Owner tab. Then click on the Change Owner button. If its an external drive then i would change it to the Everyone User so you don't have this issue later and hit apply. Should...
Yea sounds like a permissions thing. So this is what you need to do and lets see if it works.

Right click the External Drive in My Computer and go to Properties. From here go to security.

Note: If security tab not present then go back to My Computer and then click on File then Folder View for Vista and Windows 7. For XP and Windows 8 clck on View then Folder options. Then click on the View Tab Scrool to the bottom and uncheck use simple security.

Now go to the Security tab. Go ahead and click on the Advanced Button at the bottom. In this windows click on the Owner tab. Then click on the Change Owner button. If its an external drive then i would change it to the Everyone User so you don't have this issue later and hit apply. Should take owerner ship now. Now click on. Now on the users part at the top click on Edit. In there you should probably see and Unknow User name. Click on that and remove it.

Then try accessing it.

Solution

Might want to re-read what he said He never said he installed it to the external. He said he reinstalled windows and now has issues accessinng the external drive.

AndrewPatts

Reputable
May 28, 2014

Thank-you infinitely! This worked, though I did have to add the "Everyone" object as it wasn't a part of the user list.

CiprianAgapi

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014

Followed your suggestions, but got an "Error Applying Security" - An error occurred while applying security information to: H:\ Access Denied.
So pretty much, I'm back to square 1.

Any other ideas?

You sure you were on the Owner tab? and that you are doing this though a user that is an Administrator. If not you will get that error message.

Also since you aren't the orginal poster you may want to make a new thread since I have no idea what your issue was to begin with. External/Internal Drive? what happens, when did it start, ect.

inewRchase

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Try this

1. right click on my computer, choose manage, then Storage > Disk Management
2. Choose your disk (example I:), right click and choose properties
3. Choose Security tab, click Advanced
4. Click "change", then "advanced" button
5. Click "find now" button
6. Choose everyone, then click OK
7. Click OK again
8. Checklist "Replace all child object permission entries with ingeritable permission entries from this object"
9. Click OK, then choose Yes
10. Click OK (closing your disk properties), and finsih

sorry for bad english, i'm sure you understand

Old thread, been answered look next time

IrwanK

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Make sure 'Virtual Disk' service was started.
I also get same problem (USB/external HDD) was 'access denied' and can not see current owner from Security tab.

Baumeister

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Baumeister

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I came across this solution, which worked to my utter relief, enabling me to access my new seagate 1tb backup drive, which I bought last week & have been using at the office for several days. I brought it home & couldn't access my files. Thank you so much for the somewhat easy procedure. I'm almost clueless when it comes to advanced settings. Thank you again!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS