External hard drive connects, but doesn't show up

Sep 1, 2018
My external hard drive, a Seagate BUP BK (4tb) works on macbooks, but seem to have an issue with my windows desktop (Windows 10). First time connecting the hard drive, it didn't show up in my library, but it did show up in disk management. I fixed it by downloading a software. It worked for a week, until today. I have tried everything to fix it again. The unit shows up everywhere, except in the library where im supposed to be using the hard drive.

Please help. (Also, i can not format the disk as it contains extremely valuable content)

Solution
I prefer this for a 3 level backup plan.
1: 2nd copy of data kept on another internal drive
2: 3rd copy of data kept on external, unpowered, unconnected media (ie completely isolated from all systems & no cables attached to it)
3: 4th copy is same as the 3rd but kept off site

If you lack another internal drive then you may omit this one and only use the remaining two. Just about anything can delete or damage this drive; like a virus or nearby lightning strike.
henningmytheyt, you can contact Seagate support here. It is also a good idea to have a good back up plan in place.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.

popatim

Titan
I prefer this for a 3 level backup plan.
1: 2nd copy of data kept on another internal drive
2: 3rd copy of data kept on external, unpowered, unconnected media (ie completely isolated from all systems & no cables attached to it)
3: 4th copy is same as the 3rd but kept off site

If you lack another internal drive then you may omit this one and only use the remaining two. Just about anything can delete or damage this drive; like a virus or nearby lightning strike.

Solution