External hard drive error all files unreadable w/ junk names

Chris812

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
My computer recently crashed and needed to be formatted. Before formatting I was able to access my files via safemode and started transferring them to my external hard drive. I got an IO error and the whole system froze. When I restarted it my external drive reads as almost full (5 megs free of 1TB) when there should be close to 300-400 gigs left. Also all the data on the disc has garbage filenames and all folders read as empty. I was running Windows XP Home SP3 and hard drive was a Hammer Morespace 1TB drive. I was wondering if there is any way to recover the data, I don't need it all, just some irreplaceable documents and pictures.

I head that it might have something to do with buffer overflow though I have no idea, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Image is what the drive currently looks like in Windows.
CrashedDrive.jpg

Doublebravo

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
from past experience, if i experience I/O error when transferring the files from one HD to another, the files will be corrupted.

have you formatted the original HD where the files came from? you can try to download stellar phoenix to recover your files.

Chris812

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
The HD I was transferring from has been formatted but I moved that data to another drive. There was a ton of data on the 1TB that had nothing to do with this last transfer but all of it is showing up wrong. Like an extra bit got thrown in somewhere and threw the whole sequence off for all the files.

Chris812

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I've tried EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard but it didn't work. I think it's because all the data is still there but the sequence is thrown off.

rupeshnanaiah

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

hi, similar case here Chris, Mine was working all fine.. but this started all of a sudden since just two day. did you find any solution?