• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

External Hard Drive Issues

Shmecklesberainin

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I was copying files to my Seagate 2 TB external drive, when it just disconnected!

Now it won't connect at all. The light isn't blinking, but I can hear and feel the disk inside running.

It is detected by BIOS, but on Disk Management it says "Unallocated" even though I still have data on it.

What do I do?

DR_Luke

Respectable
Dec 1, 2016
Which model of Seagate external drive is it? Is it a portable USB or a desktop USB with a power cable? Is there valuable data on the drive that you cannot live without?

Shmecklesberainin

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It's a portable Hard Drive. I have very important data on there. I'm thinking about bringing it to a place in Utah called PC Laptops to see if I can get the data recovered.

Any other tips?

Shmecklesberainin

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It was working just fine, then it disconnected and now the light isn't glowing and it won't connect.

I can still hear and feel the disk spinning inside.

DR_Luke

Respectable
Dec 1, 2016
You can try to connect to the drive directly by removing it from the enclosure and see how it behaves when connected directly to your system. You can also attempt to clone the drive with ddrescue (Guide to ddrescue), but take note that if the drive is failing, everything you do could make things worse.