Question External harddrive failing to be recognized before chkdsk can finish

Jun 27, 2024
i have a 1TB Toshiba external harddrive that was working fine until i tried recording OBS to it. the recorded files were inaccessible and likely corrupted, so i deleted them. a day or 2 later, the drive is having issues being recognized or accessed. when i unplug and plug back in the drive, its recognized but the files are not accessible. after a while, windows will fail to recognize the drive again and it wont show as a drive in file explorer anymore. ive tried updating drivers, uninstalling drivers and then reinstalling drivers, and they did nothing. i thought chkdsk would be the next thing to try based off the guides i looked at, but it fails halfway though due to the recognition error. is this just probably a wire error or should i try something else?

Jun 27, 2024
99% sure thats going to be a proprietary plug right on the harddrives main board, so you will not be able to plug that in internally to your computer.
yeeeikes! its not too big of a deal though, i only used it for large game downloads (my internal storage is like 230mb) i can always get a new one if needed

i have a 1TB Toshiba external harddrive that was working fine until i tried recording OBS to it. the recorded files were inaccessible and likely corrupted, so i deleted them. a day or 2 later, the drive is having issues being recognized or accessed. when i unplug and plug back in the drive, its recognized but the files are not accessible. after a while, windows will fail to recognize the drive again and it wont show as a drive in file explorer anymore. ive tried updating drivers, uninstalling drivers and then reinstalling drivers, and they did nothing. i thought chkdsk would be the next thing to try based off the guides i looked at, but it fails halfway though due to the recognition error. is this just probably a wire error or should i try something else?
Try a different usb port.
Try a different usb cable.