External HDD - Drive hangs at each step

Anonmus

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Hi,

I have a WD 1TB External HDD (outside the warranty) and have disconnected it while it was somehow working, and after that the HDD hangs at any step when connecting it it is shown as a usb and takes a very long time to show in computer as a drive and any thing I do hangs it and takes a long time to be done ( opening the HDD, opening a folder, clicking on a folder, selecting files/folder), I tried another ports and tried another pc, I tried the scan and repair option in properties -> tools which took a long time before saying there was no problems on the HDD.
Many thanks.
EDIT:
I tried WD Data LifeGaurd Diagnosis and showed me Fail at the following property
Reallocated Sector count
ID: 5
Value: 133
Threshold: 140
Worst: 133

Solution
Sounds like the drive is actually going bad, the scan thing you did was from the Windows tools and is not very good at detecting drive issues, it mostly checks for file system issues.

Remove the drive from the enclosure, connect it to a motherboard SATA port, and run a scan on it using the WD drive diagnostics. If you have files you like on that drive, make backups of them if you can with that direct connection.
Sounds like the drive is actually going bad, the scan thing you did was from the Windows tools and is not very good at detecting drive issues, it mostly checks for file system issues.

Remove the drive from the enclosure, connect it to a motherboard SATA port, and run a scan on it using the WD drive diagnostics. If you have files you like on that drive, make backups of them if you can with that direct connection.

Solution