Question External monitor goes intermittently black

dodulhuq

Reputable
Oct 27, 2018
Hi,
I have an ASUS Vivo book laptop (Model: X541UV-BB71-CB). The problem is while connected to an external monitor (by HDMI or VGA); the display in the external monitor goes black for 2/3 seconds and comes back again on its own. This happens quite frequently when it’s connected to the external monitor and is extremely annoying while coding (I am not a gamer). The monitor is OK, as I have tested it with other laptops. I have updated all the relevant drivers (did NOT update BIOS) and nothing helps. It should also be noted that, such a problem never happens if the laptop is NOT connected to an external monitor.

The following are its relevant technical specification:

1. Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1809 (build 17763.503),
  2. Processor: 2.90 gigahertz Intel Core i7-7500U
  3. Display:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce 920MX [Display adapter]

The laptop is connected to a ViewSonic VA2259 Series [Monitor] (21.7"vis, s/n UKX174500368, November 2017) external monitor.

4. Going into the Universal Serial Bus Controller of Device Manager
Intel(R) USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub

The laptop has 1 USB C port (cannot transmit video data), one USB 3.0 and another USB 2.0 port. My guesses as to why this is happening are following:
  1. The VGA and HDMI ports are faulty. If so, how can I detect it? The laptop is no longer covered by warranty.
  2. Can I buy a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter (e.g. XCSOURCE USB 3.0 to HDMI HD 1080P Video Cable Adapter Converter for PC Laptop Tablet Notebook with Windows 7 8 10 AH150) …. found on amazon? Can my USB 3.0 port pass video data?

I have read the relevant posts in this forum and I am not seeing any solution to fit in this situation.

Please help me out.

1. why doesnt the usb c port transmit video? (Usb c to anything adapter)
  2. if the ports are faulty its hard to tell without electronic testing (if asus drivers and windows drivers are up to date)
  3. how much longer do you want the laptop? Get a usb dock or star dock for $40 save your time (itll connect to your usb port to vga port and some other ports, done) and in 8 months or whatever buy a new pc if out of warranty