external/portable hard drive by western digital 1tb

javanoob17

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Hello All,

I want to start by saying this community has been great and thank you for helping me with my related issues.

So i have this portable/external western digital 1tb hard drive that i bought at walmart right. It just stopped working like it blinks that something is happening but i get this clicking sound.

So i am wondering is this possibly due to the cable or is it the controller card for the hard drive. It blinks, it clicks, the computer seems to detect it but it does not come up. Any suggestions?

If it's a continuous clicking, that's bad news I'm afraid as it usually means the read/write heads are jammed against the recording platters (the clicking is the heads trying to free themselves). That's not fixable and means drive replacement. It's happened to me several times over the years but more usually with Seagate units.

Word of advice, if you use an internal or external drive for backups, you actually need at least two (same data on both) because of the problem you've just experienced (and others which can cause data loss).

Hi there javanoob17,

I am sorry that your WD drive is causing this. :(
There is a possibility that the clicking sound is caused by some power issues. So, you can try attaching the drive with a different USB cable to a different port. You can attach it to another system as well.
If the issue persists though, unfortunately, this could mean that the drive could have some internal physical problem as Phillip Corcoran already suggested. I guess the drive will not be recognized by Disk Management.
In this case(and if the drive is still under warranty), you can contact WD's Support and eventually RMA the drive.

WD's Support: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=rEL2DL

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

javanoob17

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
The drive is not old but dont think that would not stop the drive from failing. I want to try using a different cable. The hard drive has different connectors, western digital went with something different. How would i go about testing the connector or cable?

javanoob17

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Looks like it might just be the drive, oh man! So now i need to seek a profession service that will help extract the data from there. This will be the last time i use a my passport and not just an hard drive with enclosure.

shivababbli

Distinguished
where are you located? there are a lot of professionals , but you will need to spend a hell of money, or else just check for small recovery professionals, since by looking at your problem its a small task that any professional can do

Sometimes a USB port may not be able to provide enough power to spin up the drive. In such cases a USB Y-cable will pick up power from two ports.

Is the clicking sound very faint? Does the drive actually spin up? Does it sound like the drive may have a stiction fault (heads stuck to platters)?

DarkScript

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
Rather than create an all new thread I am asking for some assistance with a very similar product. I am referring to the Metal edition 1TB version.

Its probably at best 56% full. filled with all my stuff. Id hate to lose any of it but will understand if nothing can be done. Warranty is still active but recently did a recovery to my laptop the drive will be recognized by Windows and after logging into the drive it will not load, the window crashes and my desktop goes black as if i need to restart explorer.exe.

Keep in mind I'm a Microsoft Certified College student from Ohio State, And have several years of experience in computers, both hardware and software.

I speak tech. I have a small video ill upload to YouTube. If anyone has an idea, please reply or message me.

Hi there DarkScript,

I believe it would be a good idea to open up a new thread instead of posting in a year old one.

Apart from that, if we assume that you've tried all the basic troubleshooting steps(different cables, port, system,), you can try to access the drive with some data recovery tool. After that, you can test it with WD's DLG tool(both short and extended tests): http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=IOCmiv
The results should show you the overall health status of the drive.

In case you can't access the drive with Win based tools, I believe it will not hurt to try the Ubuntu Live CD approach out. Just boot up from a flash drive or a CD and try to access the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
Sometimes Ubuntu handles better problematic/failing drives.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD