External vs Internal

G

Need some advice. Got a HP Pavillion that I've upgraded the snot out of (CPU, Video, RAM, etc) now im out of harddrive space. Online is not an option. Want to add storage but need pros and cons for ext. and int. Also are storage upgrades (additions) dependent on motherboard bios? I wouldn't think so but now is a good time to ask.

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I would go with internal for price/performance. you need to make sure you have an empty drive bay (3.5) available. Ext. drives are slower and more expensive. Only plus for ext. is that its portable. As for the bios, you should be able to install a new hdd as long as you have an available IDE connection (primary slave/secondary master,slave). One last thing to be careful of is power. Make sure your power supply can accomodate the extra (internal) drive.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

G

I second shpcwaves advice, the only external storage that will keep up is either Ultra160 SCSI or firewire both of whitch are not the cheapest and easyist path to go.

Mike

G

I would say it depends. If you are only looking for additional storage, you have to go internal. It's cheaper GB for GB.

However, if you're looking for backup, additional storage, and the ability to PnP into different computers, definitely go external. I just purchased a Pockey. Tom's Hardware did a review last month. And it's definitely adequate for most applications. I'm very happy with my Pockey as I have additional storage but can download a bunch of files on other computers all in one tiny package--and it doesn't require a power supply which is the biggest plus for me because I'm on the road much of the time. Check them out at www.pockeydrives.com.