Question Extreme buzzing noise from freshly installed Asus Dual Radeon RX 6700 XT ?

Aug 13, 2022
Recently installed an Asus Dual AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, replacing my previous GTX 1660 Ti Mini ITX OC. The GPU is connected to the PSU with a single cable.

The primary issue is this sound: Loud noise

It does this when playing the first game I've tested, namely Resident Evil 4 Remake. Should I be worried at all?

I've also noticed graphical issues in some videogames in order to test it. This is despite following the recommended procedure (safe boot, DDU, shut down for clean install, swap GPUs, install drivers from AMD).

System Configuration:
  • Operating System: Windows 11
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, no overclock, PBO set to Auto
  • CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
  • GPU: Asus RX 6700 XT
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz (2x8), XMP enabled
  • PSU:Corsair Rm850X 80 Plus Gold
  • Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G4
  • Case: Corsair Airflow 4000D

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
In my case I had a similar issue, and NO, coil whine ain't normal to hear. Here's a few questions:
.Is it running stock or OC?
.PWM of the fan under heavy load? Running any custom curve?
.Average temperature while saving Ashley in Spain?
.What graphical issues specifically?

Aug 13, 2022
In my case I had a similar issue, and NO, coil whine ain't normal to hear. Here's a few questions:
.Is it running stock or OC?
.PWM of the fan under heavy load? Running any custom curve?
.Average temperature while saving Ashley in Spain?
.What graphical issues specifically?
Unfortunately I don't know how to check whether it is running stock or OC; I just used installed it onto the motherboard, ran the auto-detect software from AMD.com, and removed my user-defined custom curve on MSI Afterburner for my previous GPU.

The graphical issue was, I kid you not, Leon and Ashley having pitch black textures for their skin. Will try tinkering for a bit and check the temperatures.

Edit: the glitch is gone, but the monstrous coil whine isn't.

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Unfortunately I don't know how to check whether it is running stock or OC; I just used installed it onto the motherboard, ran the auto-detect software from AMD.com, and removed my user-defined custom curve on MSI Afterburner for my previous GPU.

The graphical issue was, I kid you not, Leon and Ashley having pitch black textures for their skin. Will try tinkering for a bit and check the temperatures.

Edit: the glitch is gone, but the monstrous coil whine isn't.
You're basically running stock unless you tweak it yourself, but I reckon you keep the gpu on average temps right? Sometimes random stuff like cap FPS (yes that's a thing) or turning the pc off and back on fixes it...
Check to see whether the fans motion are even (more or less) could be one of the bearings in which case you could also slighly move the case around to see if the sound stops.

In my case the sound was gone after installing a custom made gpu bracket (3d printed, costed me around 5 bucks) and helding the GPU at place (straight) did it for me, but then again one day the sound randomly stopped without the holder installed so...

Aug 13, 2022
You're basically running stock unless you tweak it yourself, but I reckon you keep the gpu on average temps right? Sometimes random stuff like cap FPS (yes that's a thing) or turning the pc off and back on fixes it...
Check to see whether the fans motion are even (more or less) could be one of the bearings in which case you could also slighly move the case around to see if the sound stops.

In my case the sound was gone after installing a custom made gpu bracket (3d printed, costed me around 5 bucks) and helding the GPU at place (straight) did it for me, but then again one day the sound randomly stopped without the holder installed so...
Is it even worth RMAing it for coil whine alone? It does the job, it's just incredibly annoying to hear

Apr 14, 2023
Isn't that standard? The chip clock is astronomical. I bring mine down to 1800 so I can watch a movie without background noise.

Edit: Maybe cap the chip at 2300 and tweak the fan curve to max out at 95 degrees. Artifacts should be gone.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023
Which software is needed to do that? Would it break anything or void the warranty?
Just in the Adrenalin software. Nah if you make mistake it'll just reboot if it goes over 100 degrees and throw the bad settings. Just go to custom and put -20 percent on the GPU speed and -maybe -5 on power too.

Edit: By the by I have the exact same mobo + CPU and I've been very happy with both. Get the new BIOS if you didn't already.

Last edited: