Extreme Laptop Overheating: Clean fans not producing much airflow

AllHamNoBread

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I have an hp omen laptop that has severe overheating issues when gaming and when i say severe I mean component melting levels. Just 10 minutes into a match of overwatch will have the cpu and gpu at 90+ degrees Celsius and within an hour the temps will reach 100 degrees. I have the fans set to max and in the power options I have the system cooling policy set to active, I've also opened up the laptop and checked for dust but it is relatively new so the dust buildup was minimal. The fans at max sound terribly loud but when I put my hand next to them they are only releasing a very small amount of air which I am sure is my problem The fans sure sound like they are at full load but hardly any air comes out. Is the fan RPM lower than it should be? Is this fixable?

Solution
Where is your laptop seated?

It seems that the laptop intake vents are blocked by something, hence the nonexistent airflow inside your laptop.

Another thing to do would be opening up your laptop and replacing thermal pads over northbride, CPU and GPU for better heat transfer effort from chips to the heatsinks. If you're unfamiliar with opening your laptop, bring your laptop to any PC service store and let the expert change out the thermal pads.

As far as cooling fans go, i can't tell if they are replaceable with better ones with higher AF and SP.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Where is your laptop seated?

It seems that the laptop intake vents are blocked by something, hence the nonexistent airflow inside your laptop.

Another thing to do would be opening up your laptop and replacing thermal pads over northbride, CPU and GPU for better heat transfer effort from chips to the heatsinks. If you're unfamiliar with opening your laptop, bring your laptop to any PC service store and let the expert change out the thermal pads.

As far as cooling fans go, i can't tell if they are replaceable with better ones with higher AF and SP.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two suggestions.
1. Echo Aeacus' advice: check for restrictions at the fan air intake slots. Your machine must NOT be on any soft sirface.
2. You say you opened the case and observed little dust. Maybe re-check inside the case and especially through the entire air flow path. I had a laptop with such a problem once, and I eventually found a wad of dust built up almost inside the fan shroud near the blades that was really limiting the air flow, but it was hard to see without really peering around.