[SOLVED] Extreme stuttering in Destiny 2 with RX 5700 XT

Jun 6, 2019
Recently, I upgraded from the RX 570 to an RX 5700 XT. My system can now play most games with 100+ FPS at Ultra settings, but with one major drawback: stuttering. Most of my games run with a little bit of noticeable stuttering, but Destiny 2 is far worse. The FPS hovers around 60-100 FPS at ultra settings, but every time an in game animation occurs, or I get into a battle with a lot of graphics to render, I get HUGE FPS drops and stutters. It can be running fine at 60 FPS and then all of a sudden drop to 7 in the blink of an eye, especially when moving my mouse around. I attempted to change to graphics settings to low, as well as capping my FPS to 60, but I was getting the same stuttering. Because this card runs a lot hotter than my previous card, I decided to check if my CPU was overheating, but it was running at 50-60C even after an hour of gaming. There are so many things that could be causing this, so I really don't know what to look for.
Here are my specs:
CPU- i7-4790
PSU- Thermaltake Smart 700W
RAM- 32 GB
Motherboard- Intel KWVT8
GPU- RX 5700 XT Asus Strix
Monitor- Samsung CF591 60 Hz
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers as well as rolling them back, but to no avail. I have another PC with these exact same specs, except the GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti, and the game runs flawlessly. Any help would great.

Solution
Probably the game then, maybe drivers or both.

What hdd/ssd is D2 on?

Is the improvements a cycle, meaning same for each time the game is launched, eventually getting better the longer you play? Next time you run the game, get into gameplay but before you start playing, let it sit for 10minutes and come back. See if there's any improvement straight off. I haven't played D2 so not sure if you can safely leave your character idle.
Jun 6, 2019
Appears lots are having trouble with D2 and that card.

Saw a suggestion mentioning PCIe Link Power management in Windows power plan setting it to off not low or high. Give that a go.
I have already turned that off, but no cigar. I have noticed another symptom though. The longer I play the game, the better the performance is. When I first start the game up though, every little animation causes the FPS to tank and stutter. However, as I continue to play the game, there are still some very noticeable stutters, but nothing nearly as bad as startup. Thanks for the response though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Probably the game then, maybe drivers or both.

What hdd/ssd is D2 on?

Is the improvements a cycle, meaning same for each time the game is launched, eventually getting better the longer you play? Next time you run the game, get into gameplay but before you start playing, let it sit for 10minutes and come back. See if there's any improvement straight off. I haven't played D2 so not sure if you can safely leave your character idle.

Solution
Jun 6, 2019
I have a Samsung Evo 860 (500 GB) with over 100 GB of free space on it. I've done what you've said, but it appears that you have to actively be playing the game and moving around for the game to improve. Sitting there idle unfortunately didn't seem to change much.
I do have another question. Can internet speed cause these symptoms? Another thing I have been noticing is a considerable amount of lag, even though my wifi speeds are mostly stable with 30mbps download 3mbps upload. It seems like the game tends to suck up a ton of bandwidth as well. Considering you can't even start the game without an internet connection, could it be linked to stuttering?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sitting there idle unfortunately didn't seem to change much.

Fair enough, was wondering if it behaved similar to Ghost Recon WL where this game would get into game play pretty quick but downfall to that is it continues to load stuff whilst playing.

I do have another question. Can internet speed cause these symptoms? Another thing I have been noticing is a considerable amount of lag, even though my wifi speeds are mostly stable with 30mbps download 3mbps upload. It seems like the game tends to suck up a ton of bandwidth as well. Considering you can't even start the game without an internet connection, could it be linked to stuttering?

Rubber banding, warping players, player interactions would suffer if internet was bad but shouldn't cause hardware stutters. Usually games don't require huge amount of singular packets, it's more about the ping.