Extremely Confused About Ubuntu and Wireless Adapters

• Thread starter Deleted member 2332882
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2332882

I hope this is the correct category.

I want to convert to Ubuntu from Windows 10. I partitioned off some of my hard drive and set up my system for Dual Boot so I could test Ubuntu out. I do not have access to an ethernet jack, so I was using a wireless USB adapter (Linksys AE1200) on Win10. Long story short, that adapter was not compatible with Linux. I would like to purchase a new adapter that will work, so I looked for such an adapter. Every adapter that I found said that it was compatible with Ubuntu 14.x or, rarely, 16.x. If I understand correctly, the most recent distribution of Ubuntu is 18.04. I cannot find any adapters which seem to work for this build. Does this mean that the only way to have access to Wi-Fi is to use an old version of Ubuntu? Additionally, even if there were a build for 18.x would that mean that I could never update Ubuntu without purchasing a new adapter? I am just all-around confused about how compatibility works with regards to wireless adapters and Ubuntu. If anyone is aware of a wireless USB adapter (preferably one that works out-of-the-box) which works for the current Ubuntu distribution, I would greatly appreciate some help finding it.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 2332882

I looked at the reviews for the adapter you linked, and I saw a whole lot of people saying that it was a nightmare to get to work on Ubuntu or that it simply did not work on Ubuntu. This brings me back to the original problem, which is that I cannot find an adapter which either works out-of-the-box or is at least fairly simple to get working on Ubuntu. I am happy to spend the $10 (or significantly more), but I don't know what I can spend it on that will actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.