Question Extrernal hard drive runs only on 2.0 USB when it should be 3.0

Pistaggg

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
Hi, i noticed that my external hdd, WD my book, 8TB, has writing speed only 20-40 mbs, which I think is USB2.0 speed.

All the links bellow are screenshots.

I have asus b350-plus motherboard with ryzen 1700 processor.

In Windows Bluetooth & other devices, under the harddisk i have written "Device can perform faster when connected to USB 3.0", even when it is connected to 3.0

I updated everything from this asus site, bios, chipset etc.

I updated windows to the last version

I didn't find any option in BIOS about enabling usb 3.0

In device manager, i tried to set the policies of the hard drive to better performance and reinstalled the USB drivers 3.0 and 3.1 (I uninstalled them in device manager and restarted pc, the install date is from yesterday), also reinstalled the WD book drivers.

My power options are set to high performance.

In USB Device Tree Viewer I see that the device is connected to USB 3.0 (i tried to connect it from 3.1 to 3.0, with no change), some things that caught my eye:

SupportedUsbProtocols : 0x03
Usb110 : 1 (yes)
Usb200 : 1 (yes)
Usb300 : 0 (no)

DevIsOpAtSsOrHigher : 0 (Is not operating at SuperSpeed or higher)
DevIsSsCapOrHigher : 1 (Is SuperSpeed capable or higher)
DevIsOpAtSsPlusOrHigher : 0 (Is not operating at SuperSpeedPlus or higher)
DevIsSsPlusCapOrHigher : 0 (Is not SuperSpeedPlus capable or higher)

bcdUSB : 0x210 (USB Version 2.10)

So I am pretty sure it runs just on USB 2.1, but I have no idea why. I am using the 3.0 provided cable to the WD My Book and tried all the usb hubs in computer with no change

Here is screenshot from CrystalDiskMark
also here are some screenshots of copying some files, here with windows explorer, the speed is going from ~70mb/s to even a 0 screenshot1 screenshot2 screenshot3
and here with TeraCopy, the speed stays the same, around 35mb/s screenshot

I honestly feel hopeless, I tried everything I know and what I found but without any improvement, if anyone can help me, I will buy 10 trees in your nickname, but I will be glad for any help, thanks.

Pistaggg

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
Hi, so I am back with more testing.

Again, all the links are screenshots.

I tried the hard disk in another 2 computers, in one, the speed was at stable 120 mb/s minimum
in another, the speed went to 120mb/s for few seconds, then dropped to 35 mb/s...
We also tried another hard disk with 3.0 that worked without problem on both computers.

I borrowed the another hard disk to home and tried it. When i connect it one of usb 3.0 and look in USB Device Tree Viewer, it's under port 4 with Usb300 : 1 (yes) and the speed is 120mb/s

When i connect the WD My book with the same cable as the first one and to the same USB port, it gets assigned under port 8 with Usb300 : 0 (no) and the speed is slow 40 mb/s

I am baffled by this, i have no idea what is wrong and why the hard disk worked fine in one computer and not in another..

Pistaggg

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
check if there is a PCI-e USB3 card where power plug is not connected to PSU.
I don't have any other PCI-e expect graphic card, also, then the another hard disk wouldn't work in 3.0 in the same USB port and with the same cable, so i am sure the USB 3.0 is working in my computer, but not with this harddisk...

I tried to format the disk, then reinstall all drivers, without any help :(

I even tried chkdsk, nothing. I will try to test the disk on another computer just to be sure it's really working, but i know it's not the cable or my computer...

TRENDING THREADS