Eyefinity Setup Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Ok so there are always questions regarding how to setup Eyefinity and what monitors / adapters do I need?
So ill make a guide I said, People will come I thought.

To start lest put down the facts. (AS OF FEB 2012)

YOU CANNOT MIX RESOLUTIONS.
Your monitors all must support a common resolution. they can be all different in physical size but all have to support atleast 1 common resolution
e.g. All 23" Monitors support 1080P
Or 2x 22" with 1680*1050 max & 27" that does 1920*1200. the 27" must drop down to 1680*1050 in order to create the eyefinity group

YOU CANNOT MIX ORIENTATION
All monitors must be either portrait or landscape you cannot have 2x Port + 1x Landscape

YOU MUST HAVE ATLEAST 1 MONITOR CONNECTED VIA DISPLAY PORT
For an eyefinity group you can have a MAXIMUM of 2 of the following connections (DVI, HDMI or VGA) after these 2 all other monitors MUST be connected via DISPLAY PORT.

You can do this 2 ways. either by having monitors that natively support display port or using an ACTIVE display port to DVI - Single link adapter
See examples below

Mini DSP to DVI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034
DSP to DVI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

NOTE: Eyefinity 6 edition cards (6x Connectors) can still only have 2 DVI, HDMI or VGA, the remaning 4 connections must be Display port or use an approved adapter.

VGA IS NOT RECCOMENDED
VGA is an analogue connection and can cause issues and often prevent the group from working at all. it is HIGHLY RECCOMENDED that you avoid VGA at all cost.

RECCOMENDATIONS:
Pick cards with 2gb VRAM or more. the resulting resolutions of eyefinity gaming will generally use more than 1gb of VRAM

There are other software solutions (e.g. SoftTH) that will allow mixed resolutions & orientation but these dont work if your also running Crossfire and often only work in games in windowed mode.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
How to Connect your Cards.

NOTE: If you have monitor/s with native display port support it is always the best solution to connect as many as you can using that DSP connection. If you have at least 1 connected via DSP (for a 3 monitor group) you DO NOT require the adapters linked in this guide.

Most 7xxx cards have the following connections

1x DVI
1x HDMI
2x Mini Display Port

Reccomended to connect in the following way

Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card HDMI -----> HDMI to DVI Cable --------------------> DVI Monitor
Card MINI DSP --> Mini DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor

See link below for adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034

Most 6xxx Cards have the following connectors

2x DVI
1x HDMI
2x Mini DSP

Card MINI DSP --> Mini DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034

Most 5xxx Cards have the following connectors

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Display Port

Card DSP --> DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
APPLE DISPLAY PORT ADAPTERS

I have an Apple Mini DP to VGA, I have tried it in my Eyefinity setup and it DOES NOT WORK. even though I have another monitor connected using the ACTIVE DP adapter. having VGA in the mix just sends things down the river in a barbwire canoe.

I also have an Apple Mini DP to DVI, and although it will work in the setup it does not replace the ACTIVE display port adapter / DP monitor requirement

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Eyefinity Software Setup

Firstly Configure all you displays to be the same resolution (e.g 1920x1080)
then open Catalyst Control Center and click "Create Eyefinity Display Group"

Select 1 monitor to create the group from

choose your orientation setup (3x1 is most common)

More than likley the order of the screens will be off. click the arrange button and follow the instructions to correct it.

Click Finish to complete the setup

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Catalyst Presets (for easy switching between Eyefinity & Extended Desktop)

Once your Eyefinity group is setup you can create presets to switch between extended desktop and eyefinity.

With the Eyefinity display group active and working
Open Catalyst Control Center click Presets then Add Preset
Fill in the required information and assign a hot key

once this is completed. disable the eyefinity group. arrange the extended desktop the way you wish and create another preset as shown above.
assign it a different name and shortcut key.

then you can activate the presets by their shortcut key and easily switch between extended & eyefinity

Please post below with ammendments, comments & questions

een54

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hi

When i try to create a group it no longer gives me the option to arrange the 3 monitors as it was doing previous to my upgrade from Vista to 7. I have a 7970 and the connections are DP-DVI active adapter(positive of this as i have two active adapters and tried both) hdmi to dvi cable and dvi cable.

As mentioned it used to work fine under vista so not sure whats changed since my upgrade to 7. Instead of having the options where i select where the blue highlight is, when the group is created it just treats them all as one and duplicates the desktop on all three screens.

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.