Question EZ debug light is stuck on CPU

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Hi to anyone reading, so the problem came up abruptly. I didnt do any update, installed any software nor opened up my rig before the problem occurred. (this is besides any automated windows updates)
What would happen is that it would get stuck on Ez debug light on CPU and when I try to turn it off by long pressing the power button it would not respond so I'd be forced to flip the switch on the PSU.
Things i've tried:
  1. I thought it was a PSU problem so I tried changing PSU's (still didnt work) then I tried the PSU in question it worked perfectly on a different rig.
  2. I reseated the CPU and it would post after I did this but if I leave the system off after a few hours it would go back to the same problem of not posting and being stuck on Ez debug for cpu. (On the times it did post I ran Cinebenchr15, there were times where it would run at low frequency and would get lower than half of the expected cinebench score, but a few rebooting would fix it) No problems with thermals or voltages whatsover (checked on both HWinfo and Ryzen Master).
  3. I tried booting with really bare hardware ie: 1 ram stick , no boot drive, no gpu. but to no avail it would still get stuck on ez debug CPU unless i reseated the cpu.

What i find weird is that the only way i can replicate the problem is when its been turned off for a few hours and reseating the cpu fixes it. There was a few occasions that even if I did leave it off for a few hours it booted successfully. The time i would leave it off would be 4 hours at the least when i was troubleshooting. Been at it for a week.

Any input would help as I am in the middle of classes and RMA is at the very bottom of my options.

Specs:
Cpu : 3700x
Mobo: B450m mortar max
Ram: 16gbx2 Corsair vengeance
GPU: 1660S ventus oc
Boot drive: Lexxar m.2 nvme
PSU: corsair TX650m

Run at all stock except for XMP.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
You need to boot with your GPU, the 3700x has no built-in graphics.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Yup, I know i have to boot with a GPU, to get a display but that isnt the issue, it wont get past the Ez debug for CPU and is stuck on it. By stuck I literally mean like its frozen on trying to clear the CPU since it wont respond if I try to turn it off using either the power button (by long pressing it) or shorting the power pins.

Yes i've tried clearing CMOS as well. I've tried everything to narrow it down to being the CPU or motherboard being the issue.

Dec 2, 2020
Omg I have exactly the same issue.

MSI Mortar Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Geforce 2070s

Also out of the blue wouldn’t POST.
EZ debug LED stuck on CPU.
Began to remove every piece of connected hardware and try again.
Checked all the cables.
Cleared CMOS.
Reseated CPU and than finally it booted again.
Connected everything, and worked as usual for a day.
Like you after a day..turned it back on, won’t post. Same issue. Have reseated the CPU again but that didn’t work this time..I’m at a loss.

Did you find a solution yet?
I don’t know whether it’s the CPU, Motherboard or Memory. It must be one of those.

Wish you good luck!!

MSI just released a BIOS update for the B450M MORTAR MAX two days ago with an updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0. You have a BIOS flashback button on the back-plate of your motherboard so you can try updating to see if that helps with your problem. They also updated the chipset driver on November 9th. That could possibly help with your situation as well.

Dec 2, 2020
MSI just released a BIOS update for the B450M MORTAR MAX two days ago with an updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0. You have a BIOS flashback button on the back-plate of your motherboard so you can try updating to see if that helps with your problem. They also updated the chipset driver on November 9th. That could possibly help with your situation as well.

Thank you for that suggestion! I’m about to give that a shot. I’ve already updated that chipset driver to the version from November 9th

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No the latest should be fine. some additional info to do it right and make sure to use an unpacked file so unzip it first,

jkwJrOa.png

s8ULXo9.png

Dec 2, 2020
Any update on your problem?
Well sort of...I’ve exchanged the motherboard. It was the cheapest part in the setup but also the most annoying to re-assemble.

PC is running again. Although I had a debug led incident once more on the new mobo. Resolved it by restarting with 1 dimm strip.

So I’m not completely out of the woods yet. Gonna RMA the motherboard. And keep a check on the memory..my bet is, that that is the most likely culprit. Otherwise it must be the cpu imo.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Well sort of...I’ve exchanged the motherboard. It was the cheapest part in the setup but also the most annoying to re-assemble.

PC is running again. Although I had a debug led incident once more on the new mobo. Resolved it by restarting with 1 dimm strip.

So I’m not completely out of the woods yet. Gonna RMA the motherboard. And keep a check on the memory..my bet is, that that is the most likely culprit. Otherwise it must be the cpu imo.
Thanks for the update!. Its unfortunate for us that our problem isnt as widespread or people just right out RMAd instead of finding a fix. Will end up RMAing too , hope you can reply what was the culprit when everything is in the clear

Dec 2, 2020
Thanks for the update!. Its unfortunate for us that our problem isnt as widespread or people just right out RMAd instead of finding a fix. Will end up RMAing too , hope you can reply what was the culprit when everything is in the clear
Thanks! I agree! Hope the RMA will solve it for you. It’s hard to exactly pinpoint the issue.

In my case (quite literally) the memory isn’t officially on the QVL of my new motherboard. So that’s why I would like to exchange it in time, and also to complement my Corsair build :)
Will leave a comment with my experience when I get a chance to exchange it.
Wish you all the best luck, and happy holidays considering.

jaltejkr

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017
Hi, I am having the exact same problem atm, with a brand new system. Have you solved the problem or are there any news?

My specs are:

Msi b450 Tomahawk max

R5 3600

2x8 GB Corsair lpx vengeance 3600 mhz, cl 18