[SOLVED] EZ Flash 2 not showing .CAP file

Jan 23, 2021
I'm trying to update my bios since they are incredibly outdated (2013) and when I unzip the bios file and place the extracted, renamed .cap file into my USB, the file still won't appear. idk what I'm doing wrong! please help!

my motherboard is an Asus sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Solution
Which bios version you currently have,
then compare with asus websites of different countries with same motherboard and check which has same bios version and
then download from there or
just search your bios version with motherboard name google will search for you the correct website.
Jan 23, 2021
The File you download is compressed in the zip format which windows 10 natively handles. Open that file and extract the cap file to the flash drive which you've formatted as fat32.
yeah thats not working either... idk what to do. I downloaded ai suite 2 and the CAP file isnt even showing up there.

yeah thats not working either... idk what to do. I downloaded ai suite 2 and the CAP file isnt even showing up there.

To use the flashback on the rear IO panel, system should be shut down with just power to the MB. The unzipped file should be renamed to "ST990R20.CAP" without the quotation marks.
The USB needs to be formatted to FAT32 single partition.

You also have the option of updating Bios using the EZ Flash 2 utility in the Tools menu section page 3-33 in your manual.

If you use Bios update using AIsuite 2 then refer to page 3-38 in your manual.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021
To use the flashback on the rear IO panel, system should be shut down with just power to the MB. The unzipped file should be renamed to "ST990R20.CAP" without the quotation marks.
The USB needs to be formatted to FAT32 single partition.

You also have the option of updating Bios using the EZ Flash 2 utility in the Tools menu section page 3-33 in your manual.

If you use Bios update using AIsuite 2 then refer to page 3-38 in your manual.
I'll try again, but I already tried all of that and none of it is working. there's also no bios flashback on the io panel... so I have no clue what to do.

oh okay. maybe my io shield is covering it

View: https://imgur.com/a/rQ0k7bH
  • Download BIOS file
  • Extract the file on your system
  • Put the BIOS file on a USB Key
  • Rename the BIOS file to ST990R20.CAP
  • Put the USB in the port you see in the picture
  • Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds until a light start flashing
  • It's over when the flashing light stop
Just want to add that some people can use the BIOS flashback with the CPU installed but some people couldn't. If the process doesn't work try again without the CPU installed on the board.

Or use the BIOS flash utility inside the BIOS.

Reactions: CoopDav
Jan 23, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/a/rQ0k7bH
  • Download BIOS file
  • Extract the file on your system
  • Put the BIOS file on a USB Key
  • Rename the BIOS file to ST990R20.CAP
  • Put the USB in the port you see in the picture
  • Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds until a light start flashing
  • It's over when the flashing light stop
Just want to add that some people can use the BIOS flashback with the CPU installed but some people couldn't. If the process doesn't work try again without the CPU installed on the board.

Or use the BIOS flash utility inside the BIOS.
just took the whole pc apart and there's no bios flashback button on the IO

Jan 23, 2021
Nobody is going to call you a liar CoopDay however, I have had a sabertooth 990FX in the past and it did indeed have Flashback so I can't help further.

If you are able to access Bios then I recommend using the Flash 2 facility.
here is the item number N82E16813131736

I've tried the flash 2. the problem I having is that the cap file is not showing up on the usb drive that I'm using. I've tried 3 different usb drives.

Jan 23, 2021

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Which bios version you currently have,
then compare with asus websites of different countries with same motherboard and check which has same bios version and
then download from there or
just search your bios version with motherboard name google will search for you the correct website.

Solution