F*** HDCP...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I wonder if eventually we'll have a 2 tier marketing scheme similar to some software licensing. You can pay less and get a DRM clogged version of the media, or pay more and get the "full" DRM-free version. I know they are talking about a DRM free lower quality version, but can we (will they force us to) pay more and get the media sans DRM?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Doubtful, because in their eyes selling something without DRM is like giving it away to 1,000 people for free. Just THINK of all that lost revenue!!! 8O

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its true, every single illegal file that I have ever downloaded, if I had no other option, I would have purchased it. WITHOUT EXCEPTION. All of those Britney Spears songs that I thought were catchy for the 10 seconds that I heard on the radio and then downloaded her entire discography only to learn it was all crap.... yeah, I would have purchased every one of them.

The formula of $1 worth of pirated music = $1 revenue lost is totally viable.

(BTW, I have never downloaded a single Britney Spears song, ever.)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its true, every single illegal file that I have ever downloaded, if I had no other option, I would have purchased it. WITHOUT EXCEPTION. All of those Britney Spears songs that I thought were catchy for the 10 seconds that I heard on the radio and then downloaded her entire discography only to learn it was all crap.... yeah, I would have purchased every one of them.

(BTW, I have never downloaded a single Britney Spears song, ever.)
Haha nice cover up at the end there ;).

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I hate DRM.

We hear all of this talk about how necessary it is because piracy costs the consumer in the end. Well what about all the half baked DRM attempts? Are we supposed to believe that all of the R&D $$$ isn't being built into the price?

So they spend millions, and a college kid realizes you hold down the shift key when the disc loads and you can shut off the DRM. Then they threaten the kid with law suits. And then soak millions into another DRM scheme.

So I wonder what costs them more.
The actual piracy?
Or
The continuous R&D costs, and all of the lost bizness from tickin customers?

If doesn't have it, there's a chance I'll buy it.
If it does have it I don't want it.
If I realllllly want it, and it has DRM, maybe I'll look for a version without it.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, I'm glad to hear that so many other people are annoyed by invasive DRM stuff. At least with that in mind I know that the RIAA can't go too far without pissing people off so much we just boycott them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I for one like hdcp or at the least dont mind it as much as i used t, it might be a pain to get used to but its not that bad. I like the idea of making it harder for pirates....

I dont see how hdcp is "getting in the way of regular folk" its rather simple

It's obvious that you really don't understand anything at all. OK, basically you have three things here that you're refusing to accept:
1.) Pirates crack DVD's in SOFTWARE, that means HDCP CANNOT prevent piracy.
2.) HDCP is meant to prevent people from RECORDING HD content, but that's not how pirates copy disks.

So there's no "good side" to HCDP. Now let's look at your second coment:

3.) HDCP prevents normal people from viewing content on devices they already own. It requires one to THROW AWAY their $4k plasma screen and buy a new one that's HDCP compliant, in order to view HD content at HD resolutions. Now, if you spend $4k on a plasma screen and found out it was worthless, you'd be a little pissed too!

OK, so plasma screens don't live forever. So say you bought an $8k projector...a device that last much longer. And say you bought it before HDCP units were available. You just out to be able to FORCE INTEL TO MAKE AN EXCHANGE to an otherwise identical HDCP-compliant version.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Wow, did you ride the short bus to school, or drop out of math in 3rd grade?

I haven't bought a new CD since I was a child, and that's a LONG time ago! All my CD's are from yard sales. Music companies don't get paid the second time around, so my used CD purchases contribute nothing to their bottom line.

And I rarely listen to the few CD's I've bought at yard sales, I usually listen to the radio. Now, if I wanted a song that wasn't available on those few CD's, I'd have two options: Wait for it to be played on the radio, or download it. And there's no way I'm paying a buck for one song with a DRM infection when I could buy a whole used CD for a buck.

What this means is that if I were to pirate a song, it would come as zero loss to the music company because I DON'T BUY THE STUFF ANYWAY.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I for one like hdcp or at the least dont mind it as much as i used t, it might be a pain to get used to but its not that bad. I like the idea of making it harder for pirates....

I dont see how hdcp is "getting in the way of regular folk" its rather simple

It's obvious that you really don't understand anything at all. OK, basically you have three things here that you're refusing to accept:
1.) Pirates crack DVD's in SOFTWARE, that means HDCP CANNOT prevent piracy.
2.) HDCP is meant to prevent people from RECORDING HD content, but that's not how pirates copy disks.

So there's no "good side" to HCDP. Now let's look at your second coment:

3.) HDCP prevents normal people from viewing content on devices they already own. It requires one to THROW AWAY their $4k plasma screen and buy a new one that's HDCP compliant, in order to view HD content at HD resolutions. Now, if you spend $4k on a plasma screen and found out it was worthless, you'd be a little pissed too!

OK, so plasma screens don't live forever. So say you bought an $8k projector...a device that last much longer. And say you bought it before HDCP units were available. You just out to be able to FORCE INTEL TO MAKE AN EXCHANGE to an otherwise identical HDCP-compliant version.
Couldn't agree with you more! :D

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Wow, did you ride the short bus to school, or drop out of math in 3rd grade?

You DO realize that gm0n3y was joking, right??? :p

F*** the police.... wait, wrong thread. :wink:

Basically there is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said previously. DRM and any incarnation of copy protection is simply not going to work in the age of the hack.
The record companies will never understand that basically people stop buying these cookie cutter albums from these template bands because they are tired of listening to crap.
Same for the movie companies.
Just my two cents.
Ninja

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Go Crash, :) :)

I am waiting for someone to crack the Zune interface too...

Will be funny to see M$oft trying to patch the holes in music that is transmitted wirelessly to the next device that is also cracked. Three days? I think they were right... It might take a few more than three days to crack that interface though :).

The Zune is a boon if ya think about it :) sorry about <<<------- that :)..

Truly the Zune is closer to what digital music transfer should be. At least they acknowledge the fact that the data can be transferred and even provisioned for it.

Unfortunate is the restriction.. It is DRM protected data. With a three day timeout. I think they would be much better off supporting the standards that all are using and not implementing the DRM. BUT the RIAA will not allow for that.

Zune would be a near perfect device if the major formats were supported without DRM. Even if the song was crippled after three days. At least when you made the purchase before the three days, you would know you could actually use the data elsewhere.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
F*** the police.... wait, wrong thread. :wink:

Basically there is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said previously. DRM and any incarnation of copy protection is simply not going to work in the age of the hack.
The record companies will never understand that basically people stop buying these cookie cutter albums from these template bands because they are tired of listening to crap.
Same for the movie companies.
Just my two cents.
Ninja
Well, if only the RIAA would listen to the truth. *sigh*

Here is my interpretation of DRM in visual format for those that still don't understand:

DRM does this to you
bottom.gif
boff.gif
and makes you want to
fart2.gif
and
gatekeeper.gif
. All these companies are telling you to
suck.gif
because they are
evil2.gif
evil2.gif