F2P Dungeon Crawler Path of Exile in Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
This game is really good. I played Diablo 3 and TL2 and I like PoE alot better. The currency system is sooo much better then having a gold based game economy.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
The title is somewhat misleading, since Open Beta only starts on the 23rd. It's not too hard to get a closed beta key now though.

They're planning on releasing a new act every 9-12 months, and apparently they're aiming for 10 eventual acts. Having gone through acts 1 & 2 already, I can say that they're fairly large, and apparently act 3 will be even larger.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]chocostain[/nom]Is this same with WoW?[/citation]
Clicking "Read the comments on the forums" allows you to edit your post.

No it's not really like WoW.

WoW requires monthly subscriptions, PoE is completely free.
WoW is an mmorpg, PoE is just an RPG, though it is played online, there is quite a difference.
WoW is bright and has childish graphics, PoE is dark and gritty (this is a good thing)
WoW was made by Blizzard, PoE was made by GGG (though I hear that some of the original Diablo 1/2 devs are working for GGG)

Think of PoE as a modern version of Diablo 1 & 2. It makes use the same isometric, top-down view.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
edit: Toms, you really need to fix your forums. My post took more than 30 seconds to show up after posting it, despite doing multiple hard page refreshes.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I was a huge fan of D2. I had pretty good expectations of D3, but when I played the Open Beta, I just wanted to stick forks in my eyes. I never felt so cheated in my life. The name of "Blizzard" became for me a very painful topic as one of the best companies who became one of the worst.

But fortunately I found about POE long before D3 was released. I NEVER LOOKED BACK SINCE THEN. I never even played D3 even though it was offered to be for free by friends. I just didn't need to waste time on that inferior piece of junk. I've played POE for 4 months, then dropped it waiting for this moment. I'm also a Gold Supporter in POE (250 dollars paid to their cause) which says a lot: if a die-hard Diablo 2 fan (I played it for 10 years on and off) does this, then it means there is something special about PoE.

And trust me, there is. Just look at the Skill system (sockets), the Passive Skill tree (allows sword-wielding Witches or Barbarian mages and so on). And the end-game Map system is fantastic and I believe Torchlight 2 kinda ripped off their maps system from POE (perhaps that's why they skipped their release date, to add this feature).

Anyway, POE rocks!!! Try it, support the developer!

bitmaiden

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
This will be one of the best games of, at least, 2013. After almost a year playing the PoE beta I can only say the fellows at GGG do really know how to make a GAME.

G

Not sure how Torchlight 2 could have ripped off the map system of POE when Torchlight 1 had a very similar thing. The only difference between 1 & 2 was that in 1 you could buy the maps at any time. In 2 you could only buy them in the end.

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Did they change the inventory space? Having to go back to town often killed the pacing for me, because I couldn't get scrolls any other way. At level 20 something I've actually spent more time transporting loot than actually killing monsters.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I wish for Path of Exile to get all of the success it deserves. It rivals Diablo 2 and Torchlight 1 brilliantly. It has even become my favorite out of all of them.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Luc2k: you don't have to sell everything. Some stuff is pointless to sell. You have to sell smart in POE.

SPD999: I was NOT aware of any map system in Torchlight 1. It sounds like you're right and it was POE who was inspired by them. I can't call rip-off this time because actually the system in POE is more advanced than the one in TL 1.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]The title is somewhat misleading, since Open Beta only starts on the 23rd. It's not too hard to get a closed beta key now though.They're planning on releasing a new act every 9-12 months, and apparently they're aiming for 10 eventual acts. Having gone through acts 1 & 2 already, I can say that they're fairly large, and apparently act 3 will be even larger.[/citation]

Yes, sorry about that. You're right. I've tried updating the title. Hopefully the changes show soon...

- Catherine Cai

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I supported them a while back and got my package shortly before X-Mas from them. Chris Wilson (Lead Producer for PoE) even wrote his name in pen on the letter, you don't see much of that anymore these days. It's the small things that matter sometimes.

At any rate, I've been waiting for Open beta so I can make a new ranger and delete my legacy league ranger. Kinda been holding off on making a new one to avoid being put in the legacy league again.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Clicking "Read the comments on the forums" allows you to edit your post.No it's not really like WoW.WoW requires monthly subscriptions, PoE is completely free.WoW is an mmorpg, PoE is just an RPG, though it is played online, there is quite a difference.WoW is bright and has childish graphics, PoE is dark and gritty (this is a good thing)WoW was made by Blizzard, PoE was made by GGG (though I hear that some of the original Diablo 1/2 devs are working for GGG)Think of PoE as a modern version of Diablo 1 & 2. It makes use the same isometric, top-down view.[/citation]

personal taste here, but realistic is only good so long as you have a crap ton of choice...

i hate "real" looking games that limit me on how i want to look in a game, or where i can play them for 8+hours but couldnt for the life of you tell you what the difference, visually at least, is between level 1 and level 20 gear.

i dont know how this game is, im just stateing that i would rather have a game styleised and see massive difference in gear, apposed to realistic and need to look at the stats of gear to see any form of a difference.

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure the D2 Necro kept raising me from the dead to reply the game. Like over a span of 8 or more years. If even one mastermind dev from 1&2 are working on this project, you better believe I'm going to get it. And thank you, THANK YOU GGG for using a PTLOOKFABULOUS instead of PTW system. It is how it SHOULD be with the F2P genre. I will gladly dump money into a free title that is balanced in that way, to support the hard work. Once I get out of work, I'm immediately checking this out. Even if it is closed, I'll see if I can buy my way into beta access.

Status
Not open for further replies.