[SOLVED] F4-3200C16-8GTZR with x570

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
So I have updated Motherboard (From a failure from ASUS Prime x470-Pro) a few weeks ago. With the ASUS, I started with 16GB feb 2019, and then upgraded to 32GB of the same kit a few months ago. I was able to run it all at PC3200 just fine on the F4-3200C16-8GTZR kits just by adjusting the voltage up to 1.365v. It would become unstable and refuse to boot unless I did this.

I am now using the MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi model with same hardware (Ryzen 2700x) which lets me select XMP modes, but I am not seeing the speeds. I had attempted to look into the voltage, being the issue before, but it is at 1.37v, higher than previously. It gets stuck on the memory error. Fastest I have been able to run this has been 1866Mhz.

Now I went down the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and following many instructions out there, I have come into a snag. the two different kits (same SKUs and Model Numbers) have two different memory types!!! One set has Samsung 8 Gb B-die (Boltzmann / 20 nm) / 1 die and the later kit has Hynex 8 Gb A-die (Deneb / 21 nm) / 1 die. Everything else looks identical (samsung has thermal senson while the hynex ones do not?)

I am decent with computers, but every time I try to wrap my head around memory timings and settings, I get lost in it. TLDR: I am trying to achieve my PC3200. Any thoughts on which direction to take?

Thanks!

Solution
Yeah so I defaulted everything and tried small increments, nothing. Even updated bios and tried it all again.
Mixing kits always has a chance of incompatibility, but you can usually run the JEDEC standard specs of 2133 CL15 1.2v, although four different modules might need 1.22-1.25v. When mixing ram, you sometimes need to either have one kit per channel or to make sure that you install them in both channels. Sometimes the better kit (B-Die) works best in A1/B1 and the other in A2/B2. Slots A1/B1 are usually the worst slots of the daisy chain if it's a motherboard using daisy chain memory slot topology. It may not matter what slots you put the modules in, but you can try moving the modules around anyway.
When using a Ryzen 2000 CPU, 4x8GB runs worse than 2x8GB because of extra stress on the CPU memory controller and motherboard limitations. Run the ram at 2933 or 3000 with the same timings and 1.35v. You might be able to get the ram stable at 3200 CL16, but it will take some tweaking. You can probably run the ram at 3000 CL14 using the Memory Try It feature in the bios.

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
I was able to have it successful all 4 modules @ 1.365v on the ASUS board just fine. I see the settings are fairly different when it comes to XMP settings.

I'll mess with it and see what I can get out of it with the Memory Try It feature. Haven't utilized this before. Thanks!

I was able to have it successful all 4 modules @ 1.365v on the ASUS board just fine. I see the settings are fairly different when it comes to XMP settings.

I'll mess with it and see what I can get out of it with the Memory Try It feature. Haven't utilized this before. Thanks!
It will usually boot and run fine for a time, but whether it's actually stable is another matter. If the system crashed at least once a day or more it means the memory was likely having errors. Make sure you run memtest86 with one full pass minimum to see if you get errors. 0 errors is what you want.

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
I havent had any crashing putside of not posting with higher speeds. Ill run a test on it. I remeber doing it quite a while ago and didnt get any errors.

I just for the life of me get ut at any other speed. It runs all games and everything else perfectly fine, just not at the level it used to.

Trues the Memory Try it on every setting without any success. Its holding 1866 @ 1.22v

I havent had any crashing putside of not posting with higher speeds. Ill run a test on it. I remeber doing it quite a while ago and didnt get any errors.

I just for the life of me get ut at any other speed. It runs all games and everything else perfectly fine, just not at the level it used to.

Trues the Memory Try it on every setting without any success. Its holding 1866 @ 1.22v
Reset all the ram settings to default and then just input the speed you want. Leave everything on automatic and see what the motherboard picks for timings and voltage (usually 1.35-1.36 automatic above 2666).

Yeah so I defaulted everything and tried small increments, nothing. Even updated bios and tried it all again.
Mixing kits always has a chance of incompatibility, but you can usually run the JEDEC standard specs of 2133 CL15 1.2v, although four different modules might need 1.22-1.25v. When mixing ram, you sometimes need to either have one kit per channel or to make sure that you install them in both channels. Sometimes the better kit (B-Die) works best in A1/B1 and the other in A2/B2. Slots A1/B1 are usually the worst slots of the daisy chain if it's a motherboard using daisy chain memory slot topology. It may not matter what slots you put the modules in, but you can try moving the modules around anyway.

Reactions: gedwards913
Solution

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Thanks! I will try physical relocation of the sticks and update. Also, 2 passes with memtest86 and no errors, windows memtest was no errors.

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Beautiful!!! Flipping them around worked!!

Used Memory Try it with 3200 @16s. 14 wont boot. I dont have the A-XMP profile selected. Should I mess with it any further?

Beautiful!!! Flipping them around worked!!

Used Memory Try it with 3200 @16s. 14 wont boot. I dont have the A-XMP profile selected. Should I mess with it any further?
You very likely won't notice any difference between 3200 CL14 or CL16. If it works, I would just leave it as is. Make sure to test it with memtest86 for minimum a single pass on the auto start test.

Reactions: gedwards913