Facebook and FireEye Detect More Foreign Interference with US Midterms

Status
Not open for further replies.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Facebook and other tech giants have done more to influence the US mid-term elections than any of the 6 Iranian accounts or 2 dozen Russian accounts ever could.

Aug 12, 2018
the irony is strong here.
since before 911 america has been exacting actual regime change by bombing countries back to the stone age so american companies can build pipelines to serve Europe there gas.
while washington has been doing this, american politicians all over the country have been trying to gerrymander voting districts. reduce people of colours ability to vote by introducing anti voter fraud measures for a problem that doesnt exist but gives more control over who votes for who...
yet we have the media telling us that russia is the real badguy and is influencing american elections via facebook adds... >.<

and guess whats getting the most attention... not the criminal activities of there own leaders thats for sure.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Having an ID to vote is not restricting anyone's right to vote. You have to have an ID open a checking account, apply for any kind of loan, government assistance, rent a car, check into a hotel, ect. Having voter ID prevents people that shouldn't be voting, from voting. Voter fraud exists, and is a problem.

That said, I agree, the whole Russian influence thing, is just a big media distraction.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Voter fraud does exist, you're right. You're also right that it's a problem. However, there is no evidence to suggest that voter fraud exists on the level necessary to sway an election.

I agree, having an ID does not restrict anyone's right to vote. However, failing to inform people that they have been removed from voter logs, closing facilities that issue ID's and provide voter registration services in low income areas or areas that are predominantly "non-white", etc, does restrict the ability of someone to vote. If someone doesn't know that they are no longer registered to vote, how are they supposed to re-register? If someone lacks the funds necessary to pay for an Uber or Lyft or cab to get to a facility to obtain an ID or register to vote, how are they supposed to register or vote? These are things that have actually taken place in this country and are actually become more wide spread. There has been a massive push for voter suppression in this country over the last (almost) 10 years. Redistricting to heavily favor a certain political party has also become a major problem. These are problems that can actually be proven, unlike the claim of voter fraud being so rampant as to change the outcome of an election.

None of that means that foreign governments trying to sway voters isn't a problem though.

Aug 23, 2018
Liar, Liar! PANTS ON FIRE!
Kris Kobach has been on a voter fraud campaign for more than a decade. In all that time he's found 11 legitimate cases of voter fraud!!!
Those same eleven cases were the basis for his voter fraud commission established earlier this year in the Trump White House. The commission lasted about as long as a Trump promise. It imploded because IT was a FRAUD!

Ah, I see you two decided to register today at this popular tech site to make your very first posts about voter manipulation at popular websites. Welcome!

Hmm... >_>

Aug 27, 2018
Please elaborate further on the closing of facilities that issue valid voter ID's in predominantly non-white, low income areas. The only facilities, in any state, that you may receive a valid government issued identification card from are government facilities (go figure). I don't live in a predominately low income area and, low and behold, there are no facilities issuing these ID's near me either. I'm forced to travel over 30 miles to get mine and nobody is complaining about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.