Failing Drive Not Accessible?

Aug 31, 2018
I have a hard drive from a laptop that is failing. It would no longer boot so I removed it and plugged it into an external housing. When I fit turn on the housing it spins up and I can see it pop up as F Drive, but as it continues, it locks up and a minute or so later I get "F: is not accessible. Parameter is incorrect."

How can I get around this? I need some data off the disk before I junk it.

Solution
sspera, based on your description, a data recovery service is the option you need to explore. It is also a good idea to have a good back up plan in place.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.
sspera, based on your description, a data recovery service is the option you need to explore. It is also a good idea to have a good back up plan in place.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Solution