[SOLVED] Failing PSU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017
Yesterday my 10 year old cord extension with surge protection made an electric arc sound and straight up turned off with my whole system, turned it back on and it didn't light up, neither did my computer turn on. I took it apart and didn't find anything wrong with it, i changed it to one with no protection and after plugging in the power cable into the PSU it also made the arc sound but i went along thinking it was a one time thing, and it appeared it was. I turned my system on and after about 10 minutes my computer turned off and started to restart. On that very restart it was working as usual. Then i turned computer off, unplugged to see if the cable or the pins were damaged or not and they're not, so i plugged it back in, heard the arc sound again and turned the pc on. The same scenario happened as the first time. Today i turned PC on and nothing of unusual happened, i was thinking if the dying of my surge protected cord extension damaged the PSU. I have anti surge support turned off in the UEFI.

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017
Cheapest decent PSU i see there is this one :
https://alta.ge/computers-and-offic...0w-gold-full-modular-ps-tpg-0650fpcgxx-r.html
Can you by any chance buy stuff from Turkey or Russia ? In Turkey there they have pretty good and cheap High Power Performance GD and in Russia you can get all sorts of stuff but i have no idea what's import tax for Georgia and if it's a viable option.

I'll look into it but i highly doubt my financial situation will be good enough to afford shippings let alone the PSU itself, i was also thinking about these ones, any suggestions? ultra.ge --> computer parts ---> power supply (sorry, the URL contains Georgian characters and my TV only has English key set)

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017
Yeah. That PSU is shady as all get out.

We don't even know what the +12V capability is. Even if they split the +12V right down the middle, which nobody ever does, that's only 384W.
you think 350W PSU will be enough to power my rig? i got my old PSU saved from 10 years ago, worked flawlessly over the years,
i3-7100 3.9GHz
gtx 550ti
one 7200RPM HDD
Gskill ripjaws DDR4 8GB
nothing overclocked, no rgb and i was thinking if i switch gtx 550ti to geforce gt9500 would it make a big difference
i could't calculate the power requirement for my pc so here i am asking you guys maybe you'll have answers

Last edited:

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017
you think 350W PSU will be enough to power my rig? i got my old PSU saved from 10 years ago, worked flawlessly over the years,
i3-7100 3.9GHz
gtx 550ti
one 7200RPM HDD
Gskill ripjaws DDR4 8GB
nothing overclocked, no rgb and i was thinking if i switch gtx 550ti to geforce gt9500 would it make a big difference
i could't calculate the power requirement for my pc so here i am asking you guys maybe you'll have answers
ignore this, it worked, thanks for all the replies, have a great day.