failure configuring windows updates. reverting changes. do not turn off computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmonsivais

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I got this message. I have read all the fixes, but none addresses when the computer gets stuck in this state and cannot do anything even after I turn it off.

What can I do to get to that point that allows me to do all recommended fixes?

Solution
I've had the same problem with the reverting changes for 2months now. Every 3 days my laptop force updates, fails, reverts, gets stuck trying to revert. After turning on and off the laptop a bunch of times in a row it slows down the reboot enabling me the right amount of time to hit the shift/F11 key and have it actually let me reset my computer. Then 5hrs later I am back up and running for about 2days 3 if I'm lucky then the force update starts all over. I have tried everything I have found on the internet in the past 2months. I'm sick of it and am most likely going to just start upgrading my linux desktop and say F windows on the laptop and put a new OS on there as well. All I used my laptop for was my steam games and now its not...

Dodotheclown

Reputable
May 26, 2015
This problem drove me up the wall. Went through the 2-3 hour revert probably 5 times.

Eventually worked out that if I removed my GTX 680 video card, and all of my hard drives, except the one I use for windows, the updates would install no problems. I have a suspicion it was the video card. After doing that I've had no problems. Didn't have to install in small groups or anything like that. So try unplugging some things, just have the barebones of a PC, and see if you can do it.

alaminanambas

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

techdreamz

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

techdreamz

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
It does revert but you will have to wait a while, to speed up the process u can boot in safe mode by pressing f8 repeatedly at start up and then you will see the option, and then the process will speed up

scooby23

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
On asus laptop turn off and then back on and hold esc and keep taping keys f8 f9 at the same time you will notice please wait with a small spinning circle it might not work first time just repeat the process. you can enter advance repair options from here

cynicalchimp

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

ESG Jagged

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

going through same thing, but what ever you do, don't turn off your computer during that!
if you do, you risk damaging your HDD!

let it finish, i know Microsoft says 30min for it to happen but i just got off the phone with tech support saying it could take all night, the disk is etching out all recent changes and reverting back to what ut was before, and this could take HOURS, and if you have a windows 8 disk wait till next day, and if its not finished then, you may as well turn it off!

then try to restore to factory!

otherwise i have no clue!

my problem is caused by a problem with my windows update, and Microsoft is trying to fix it for me, but its kinda hard to fix this issue remotely when
Updates is the problem and im wanting them to install 8.1 and then 10 on it!

ESG Jagged

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

what do they do if doing that damages their Hard Drive?

what do they do if they dont have a windows DISK? to factory reset from cd?

pradeepk79

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I had this problem too. As suggested I kept my laptop on for the night and by morning my desktop was normal. For loading updates I switched off automatic download and update and put it to " down load updates but let me choose when to install". Then I installed 10 updates at a time and was able to complete the process.

Abdillah Sulaiman

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I got this problem too. So I turned on again my computer, then I pressed "ESC" quickly. Then I pressed f11 to started booting in safe mode ( I chose safe mode with command prompt ). When it started booting, I didn't touch or press any keys. Just let it done by it self, and finally I could escape from eternal loading on reverting changes. LOL.
But, I didn't understand to use command prompt so I shut down again my computer to chose just safe mode. And It run normally, then I restart my computer and open control panel to disable auto update.
Now, I got another problem, 2 of 3 my usb port can't work properly. It can't read my ex HD. Could anybody help me to fix it? Thanks.

OldTruckDriver1957

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
If you are having problems updating your system or upgrading the OS, the problem may be your video card.

I removed my 2GB add-in video card, reset the computer back to factory default, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Then I upgraded to Windows 8. It did not fail and then it installed the updates to the OS automatically. I believe that Windows 8 has a problem with video cards having 2GB of video memory <<--- That is what mine has. Once all the updates are installed, I proceeded to install Windows 8.1. Once again... NO PROBLEMS. Windows 7 recognized the video card, but Windows 8 did not. Winodws 8.1 also recognizes the video card.

Stallion87

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi Guys
Had the same issue and manged to solve it!
The main reason for the problem in my opinion is that windows is trying to installs many updates in the same time and that may cause some conflicts.

That's what I suggest to do:
1. Click on the windows icon and search for "windows update"
2. On the left click on setting and choose: "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" - This will prevent the loop you guys are having
3. Go back to updates main change and click on: " X important updates"
4. deselect all of them and start install them manually, around 10-20 at a time ( you can even start with 5 just to see it's working)
- You'll need to restart the computer every time the update finish
- In case you still have a failure just install the problematic update alone, by itself. It should work.
5. Once you finished installing all the updates go back to setting and choose "install updates automatically"
6. You're done

I was afraid I had a fake copy of windows but I did this, and god the windows 10 updates pop message.
It's a bit a Sisyphean process but it'll do the job. Moreover, you don't have to finish it in one day...

Hope that help you guys.

Best,
Stallion87

Narayanasamy_1

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Narayanasamy_1

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Dear guys,
Desktop users can switch on to system(CPU)only and after waiting from 10 to 60 minutes-switch on monitor-now system will be opened.
While on internet,click widows upto date every day.
Please,inform me about result found.

Narayanasamy. A
(aa1957457@gmail. com)

Yutri_

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thank you so much :)) i'm in the middle finishing my undergraduate thesis i'm crying bcs the day after tomorrow i have to submit the proposal, once agaun thanks :) gbu

Rostislav_3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

Hehehehey guys! While I've been reading what to do here, it's finished hahaha! Suggest you all just wait more or even live it overnight. Mine took for about 3 hours. 192 updates, Lenovo ideapad p-500, Russia. Btw Lenovo sucks))))) Have a good time ;-)

randome

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

I found easy solution after getting into this issue yesterday evening. I also tried to restart, use the safe mode, and do 'the thing advised' .. nothing worked out but then..

I have a free version of program called Advanced SystemCare 9, and being in safe mode, that opened laptop 'normally' after waiting a while, I run that programs "Clean and Optimize" part .. that fix it, and now I'm installing updates with small amount of them, so little by litte.

All seems to work great now! Hope this helps, but you just need to get that free program when you are in safe mode with Internet connection on.

Regina_Mize

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

I had this same problem last month and my computer never came out of the failure loop even after leaving it for over 48 hours. I tried every option I could find on the internet and nothing worked including start-up repair and system restore. My Alienware laptop has no DVD drive so there were no repair or operating system discs. What finally worked for me after all other attempts to repair and restore failed, and after spending 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support, is this:

First, since my Alienware laptop has no CD/DVD drive, I had to get on another computer and download the operating system onto a blank flash drive. This took almost an hour. Then I had to go into System BIOS (how you access this is different depending on your computer, but on my system you hit <F2> repeatedly upon powering up) and then once in System Bios go to the Advanced boot option tab and change the boot option to external drive. Then you save and exit and turn off the system. Next you put in the USB flash drive and restart. This allows the computer to boot up from the USB drive, bypass the failure loop, and reinstall the operating system. However, this does completely wipe your computer to factory settings and does require that all software be reinstalled.

Once the operating system is installed, you have to remove the USB drive, restart the computer,( <F2> upon restart again) and go back into the Advanced Boot Options tab in the System BIOS and change the boot drive back to what it was before (should be your internal hard drive). Then again save and exit and restart.

I ended up installing Windows 10 and have not had any problems since. Hope this helps someone else who is having the same issue where start up repair and system restore does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.