failure configuring windows updates. reverting changes. do not turn off computer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmonsivais

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I got this message. I have read all the fixes, but none addresses when the computer gets stuck in this state and cannot do anything even after I turn it off.

What can I do to get to that point that allows me to do all recommended fixes?

Solution
I've had the same problem with the reverting changes for 2months now. Every 3 days my laptop force updates, fails, reverts, gets stuck trying to revert. After turning on and off the laptop a bunch of times in a row it slows down the reboot enabling me the right amount of time to hit the shift/F11 key and have it actually let me reset my computer. Then 5hrs later I am back up and running for about 2days 3 if I'm lucky then the force update starts all over. I have tried everything I have found on the internet in the past 2months. I'm sick of it and am most likely going to just start upgrading my linux desktop and say F windows on the laptop and put a new OS on there as well. All I used my laptop for was my steam games and now its not...

Landorgi

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Kiefer_Northland

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

~ this post right here is absolutely correct! I'm on Windows 7 Professional and I had a hard stop a Fujitsu laptop twice then boot into safe mode I received the same error message, the waited 5 minutes and Windows boot into safe mode. readjusting Windows virtual memory to match the physical memory in the laptop, shutting off any processes using large amounts of resources or any programs using large amounts of resources. I then let the computer download and install the updates in normal mode and all is well.
I read an article on Microsoft support about this fix and it states to do a clean boot situation and then start the Windows Installer service and then install the updates and reboot.
If you adjust the virtual memory to match the physical memory, then once you're done readjust the virtual memory for Windows to automatically manage the pagefile. this should correct the issue with Windows failures and reverting changes
Sean@shorenetsystems.com

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I had the exact same issue in Windows 7.

Basically I did a fresh install of Windows and then set it up to do all the updates at the same time. I got stuck in the loop for a couple of hours but I just left it and it eventually finished and booted up normally.

My recommendation is be patient, don't put a time scale on it and go away and do something else while the computer works through the problem. I also advise not to switch your PC off until the issue is resolved.

Richard_108

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
for those not already stuck in groundhog day, act now to prevent this problem by setting windows update to download but not install updates. go to control panel.windows update.change settings link on left of panel. I consider myself very lucky as my pc was in an endless loop with this problem, it kept rebooting by itself after some minutes, so leaving it overnight was no solution. I used Fujitsu's boot disk and was able after a few failures to get to System Restore and undo the error enough to get the desktop back, though in a partly broken condition. I had to do a clean install at that point. something that was not possible while the 'reverting changes' error was going on. so my suggestion is if you have a solution that ought to work and doesn't, try it again, it may be ok on second or third attempt, I don't know why. And never believe error messages, they're nearly always wrong.

RaccoonCat

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Thank you so much for your suggestion! My pc is all well and its working smoothly without any update problems! :)

shanyn

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I received that same message last night when updating my Surface. I thought it was stuck but was patient and let it sit. It did take about 1.5 hour to finish "reverting" and it restarted twice but it seems to be working fine. I have not yet tried to reinstall the failed updates.

swavyast

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

r_davies

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

Hi all, I have the same problem - except for me, it never reverts back ... just gives the 'reverting updates' I left it for around 3 hours and after that gave up and restarted, but same each time even in safe mode (it attempts to rollback changes)

This is an Intel I5 Quad Core which took 11 mins 15 seconds to install Windows 7 from boot disk from start to finish which is how I know it certainly shouldn't take hours to roll back.

So now I'm stuck and cant even do a repair install (even safe mode goes straight back to reverting changes). Running a new install of Windows 7 fails saying its now the wrong version (as it probably sees the updated version).

This is a new computer just over 24 hours old. I wasn't going to use Windows 8 because it was a total abortion and with a GTX 970 I know Windows 10 will screw with my machine.

So now I think I may reformat and start again and permanently turn off Windows updates which I strongly recommend others should do if they experience this.

I know from a security perspective this is terrible, but think of it this way: I can always implement manual protection for exploits available for services and programs I run - not ideal, I grant, but in Microsoft's hands I dont even have a usable system!

Sad to say its obvious Microsoft has totally lost its way and has managed to ruin (with these broken updates) the Windows 7 platform which - for me - was the only real and usable Microsoft system out there at the moment.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I strongly disagree as your processor has little impact on how quick Windows performs its updates.

On a brand new install of Windows 7, you have a crazy amount of updates, especially if the install did not contain SP1. If I do updates with a special tool (which I rarely do now) then I usually estimate 2-3 days to do all the installs.

With regards to turning off Windows updates, you should only do this if you have an alternative way of installing the updates or your computer is vulnerable to cyber attacks because the known security vulnerabilities have not been closed.

Warren_2015

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
My wife's Laptop was stuck in the "...Reverting changes ..." mode for several hours , I was able to resolve the issue, once I found a Windows 7 64 Bit Recovery Disk. The one I had was from my Toshiba, while she has a Dell. They both had the Home Premium edition of windows, that is why I believe this worked.

I first tried to recover to a previous restore point, I tried this twice and twice it failed in about 5 minutes. I then tried the option to do a System Repair. This took another 5-10 minutes and then the machine booted up to the login screen and I was able to create a Windows Recovery Disk for her laptop. It has been working just fine for the past 24 hours, I'll post a note if this fails to maintain the stability.

pastordavidpray

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Thank you for for the sharing however I cannot follow the steps you recommended as I do not have F11 on my keyboard. I have Lenovo laptop. Please help me to restore the computer

kaustubh93

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

It does actually revert back, I put my waiting hat on and it took 4.5 hours to revert. It does take a lot of time. If you don't want to wait you can always do a factory reset but in my case I would have lost all of my configurations and software downloads.

Azim Bangladeshi

Commendable
May 30, 2016
It worked for me. I have win 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Method that worked -
Hit F8 during startup and hit "Repair your computer" if available (If not, go to repair option from OS DVD). Run System Restore and select the earliest date where it was working fine. it may show Failure Message at the end. But When you restart using Restart tab. It should work fine. Remember to turn off windows update from control panel, Or, use selective update of your choice. Also, you may remove the update that caused problem.

jamesmcdcc

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I fixed mine by turning off the Secure Boot.

If you can't get to the System Restore screen, try turning off Secure Boot in your BIOS. In my case, I had the "Secure Boot' turned on, as explained here: http://www.tufitech.com/how-to/fix-failure-configuring-windows-updates/

Also, make sure you DON'T install all the updates at once. If you do, then in case one of the update is faulty, then you might ruin the whole process. So, it's wiser to do the update on by one instead of trying it at once. Prevention is better than cure guys.

LeonThePC

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I am a computer technician and I have seen this many times. This usually happens when there are a lot of updates that want to be installed.

I have installed updates on many windows 7 computers and I have seen this happen when there are close to 200 updates that want to be installed. I would select just to install the .NET updates. After the computer installs and reboots I would select only the Windows 7 Security Updates. The next time just the Windows 7 Updates and so on. It doesn't make a difference which ones you chose to do first. This has always worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.