Question Failure to boot after using ASUS EZ-Tuning wizard for RAID 1

Jul 29, 2019
Setup:
ASUS Prime Z390-A
Western Digital 2.0TB x2
Samsung 840 EVO 1.0TB SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SSD

I have Windows on one of my 2.0TB magnetic drives, and wanted to use the ASUS EZ-Tuning feature to set up both the SSDs in a RAID 1 configuration.

After googling a bit and checking the manual and watching vids like this one (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7XpK-5WgLU
) I thought I could do this with the wizard by unplugging the HDDs and going into the bios with just the 2 SSDs plugged in. I went through the EZ-Tuning wizard fine with no errors, restarted a couple times for it to do its thing, then when the wizard was done I plugged the HDDs back in. The SATA controller mode was in Intel Raid configuration at this point and not AHCI.

Problem is that Windows wouldn't boot from the HDDs at this point. The Windows spinny circle would display the message "Automatic Repair" and then "Diagnosing your PC" and then give me a screen that informed me that my system didn't start properly. From here I have a reboot button and some advanced reboot options like safe mode.

So I went and turned the mode back to AHCI. Boots fine at this point, but I don't know why this doesn't work. Other people seem to have had success doing this. Am I missing something?