'Fallout 4' Benchmarks, And How To Disable VSync

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw1374

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Of course you need to remove frame cap for testing but disabling Vsync is not a good idea for Fallout while gaming. In Skyrim, when you remove frame cap, time-day cycle breaks down, speed of creatures gets higher and collison effects go crazy. This is the way Bethesda's engine work.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Man, those are pretty bad numbers for a 390X, getting beat by a 760. Could a driver update fix this perhaps? or are we seeing another Witcher 3?

I understand that the Intels are better for gaming but not all of us can afford a i7 and a high end board. Have an AMD benchmark in there too for some contrast. Well i guess I'll find out how my 8320 @ 4.5 and GTX 480 do later tonight lol.

The two benchmarks will have been run with completely different graphics quality settings. Read the article (I've bolded the relevant bit):

To evaluate how Fallout 4 behaves with different types of hardware, we tested out the game on several systems with a wide range of hardware. We decided to test with the auto-detected hardware settings, as this is likely how many gamers will leave it (and because this is not intended to be a performance tweak guide).

Obviously the auto-detected "optimal" settings will be radically different for these two cards, so there is no GPU pissing contest possible based on this particular article.

For clarity there should be screenshots of the settings used for each test, as they are stated to be different (yet that point is being missed)

I feel someone should send my broke college self a free copy and Ill see how it runs on a Phenom II and a 760 XD

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

I understand that a 390X is expected to push more details into the screen, but I still don't understand how "optimal" means getting lower framerates than a GTX760

not surprised given that this is a heavily updated/modded skyrim engine. obviously even an i3/750ti can handle the game no problem. but mesh/texture mods will end up crushing the system once they are released. skyrim still have an extremely strong modding community and it should be relatively easy for modders to handle fallout 4. im just curious if the 3.1gb vram cap is still in effect and if not if modders will reverse port fallout to skyrim.

This is a quick test or probably gathered from a few people. I am sure if they do a full test they will do it with as many possible CPUs as they can.

I would throw my rig in for them to use to test with but I only have an i5. Plus it is harder to control using random rigs. To truly test it they need it in a neutral environment with the only differences being the motherboard (close as possible) and CPU.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I did a little testing---on an AMD system, godrays absolutely kill performance for me 9590/290x. That, and lowering "shadow distance" to medium were by far the biggest boosts in framerate. Possibly a gameworks library? The Godrays DLL starts with "GF"....

BTW, for Nvidia guys, to enable SLI you will have to edit the fallout4 entry in nv control panel, and change the SLI rendering mode to "Force AFR 2" and it works nearly flawlessly (on my intel/nvidia box). The newest "game ready" drivers, when left to default for SLI, dont show much 2nd gpu usage for me.

Jeremy Kincaid

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Getting playable fps at medium settings with some minor lag spikes on a fx 4130 @ 4.1ghz, 4gb ddr3, hd7850 1gb @1050mhz. Was really expecting to be bottlenecked but I haven't been bothered by low fps except in a few occasions.

This gives me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS