Family Game Sharing Finally Comes to Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yea... I mean. There's the fact that you can easily revoke access. And they can't try and change your password. Or log back in with your password and kick you out. Or buy games with your account. Or get stats under your username. Or post as you. Or mess with your profile. But other than all those huge things yea. Hardly more useful than just handing out the password to your account.....

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
"Borrowed games will be unavailable on even an authorized device when the lender’s library is currently in use on another computer."

Wait so basically you, the lender needs to be offline for the other person to play any game from your game library? I love it that Valve is deciding to implement something like this since its been a requested feature for a long ass time but If I understood correctly that limitation its basically the same as sharing an account while another being offline or worse, it forces you to be online and kicks the other person out.

Also, I assume this will only work for steamwork games?

*EDIT*
After reading the official page I realized that this is a bit better than sharing an account since you never have to worry about the other person ever doing anything stupid with your account like deleting your game profiles, giving away your items or worse stealing it.
Can't wait to try this out, considering I only game about 3 days a week, I can share with a friend and try his games, hopefully without much trouble.

oczdude8

Distinguished
This sounds great! This is basically what you can do if you have a hard copy of a game. Now, you can loan your games to your friends from across the world, without worrying that they will scratch your disk.

I just hope they make it so you can loan out just some games, as opposed to everything.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"Your move, lolsoles." What I find funny about this statement is that this was the original Xbone family plan, basically. In other words the 'lolsoles' are the ones that had the idea first. The problem was that Microsoft PR was so terrible that instead of highlighting what people would've liked they announced the ways the Xbone failed and were forced to change plans. Gaben, not being a complete imbecile, took advantage and implemented the idea himself.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
This sharing system is not bad, but do you all realise that if the companies actually implemented a sharing system that people asked for, the price of games would go ridiculously high. When I want to play a game I want to pay for a single user license, not a multiple user license.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft but what they planned for Xbox One but then scrapped is going to be implemented anyway eventually by each game company individually. People are too damn stupid in this world to realise that the elimination of game sharing would have lowered the price of games by several times. I have no idea why Microsoft seemed to completely forget to mention that. Maybe they are too stupid too. They are too stupid judging by how they went for a minimalist interface in Windows 8 as if they want us to go back to the cave-man days when they are a technology company.

Man, your family & friends must suck. You have my sympathies. None of the people I share it with do things like that. Maybe you should be a bit more selective?

Still not that useful, despite your sarcasm. If the people you share your account with are arseholes like you describe, why in god's name would you let them borrow your games through this new program, either?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's a start, but certainly not what I'm interested in. I need the ability to create a limited sub-account with no purchasing rights, no gifting rights and temporarily move selected games there for my son to play. The gift system or something like it should work with sub-accounts so I can purchase a second copy of a game I want to play with my son or just at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.