Question FAN COLOR CHANGING from MOTHERBOARD

Jan 14, 2019
So, guys, I have this type of PC case: https://www.amazon.in/HITSAN-Segotep-Tower-Case-Desktop/dp/B07F9PGSG9 which came with those 3 fans. They, unfortunately, have 3 pins, but what I read is that I can still control their colour! I have searched all over the internet, but no chance. I want them to make an animation of breathing of fading or something, not just stay and light the PC. Is there any software? Do I need any controller? They are connected to the motherboard of the PC (ASRock) using 3 pin connector. Any suggestions?

Motherboard specs:

Internal connectors:
1 x Chassis Intrusion Header
1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector
1 x 4 pin 12V Power Connector
1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)
1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin)
1 x Front Panel Audio Connector
1 x TPM Header
1 x USB 3.0 Header by ASMedia ASM1042A (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))
2 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 4 USB 2.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

Others:
CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan (Auto adjust the chassis fan speed by CPU temperature)
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
ASRock A-Tuning
ASRock Disk Health Report
ASRock USB Key
ASRock APP Charger
ASRock XFast LAN
ASRock XFast RAM
ASRock Dehumidifier
ASRock Easy Driver Installer
ASRock Interactive UEFI
ASRock UEFI Guide
ASRock Instant Flash
ASRock Internet Flash
ASRock Crashless BIOS
ASRock UEFI Tech Service
ASRock Restart to UEFI
CPU/Chassis Fan multi-speed control
CASE OPEN detection
CPU/Chassis temperature sensing
CPU/Chassis Fan Tachometer
Dual Channel DDR3/DD3L Memory Technology
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 1.3 / 1.2
Graphics
Hardware Monitor
Memory
Pixel Shader 5.0, DirectX 11.1
Max. shared memory 1792MB
Software and BIOS
CPU

Last edited:

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Unfortunately, in the world of RGB fans they are not all standardized yet. In other words each manufacturer has their own software logic for controlling the rgb colors. For example corsair has their own, cooler master etc... You would need to determine what fans your pc case came with and look up to see if that manufacturer has software that can do this.

As far as 3-pin and 4-pin, that last pin doesn't do anything for rgb's it's called PWM or power width modulation and it's essentially controlling the speed for you as opposed to using a fan controller with fixed speeds. Anyway, hopefully that clears things up good luck!

Reactions: draguturares
Jan 14, 2019
thank you for the advice! The fans are from Segotep, but this is the problem, they are not RGB! Only deep blue or that colour. May I control them using only the motherboard? If not, can you recommend me such a fan controller from Segotep which has this ability to create colour animations using the fan's LEDs? The link is in Romanian, but it was the single one ok. This is the fan, but only in one colour, deep blue or thing like that: https://www.emag.ro/ventilator-sego...ue-led-120x120x25mm-polarwnd-bl/pd/DHSXK7BBM/

I know nothing about RGB fans so you maybe listening to a 2 years old but I know about electronics and a single 3 pin connector is not enough to drive RGB, I wager if you want color, u need to replace those fans.

If I were doing this, I want my PC get redder as it gets hotter, rather than displaying a bunch of random colors, or follow CPU load, something.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 different types of lighting. And 2 different types of fans.

PWM. 4pins, hot/ground/tach/pwm signal
DC. 3pins hot/ground/tach.
LED: Single color, can be either DC or PWM. Color not changeable, lighting powered directly from the 12v fan supply.
RGB. Solid color, variable. Bunch of different connector types, can be 5v or 12v, DC or PWM. Has a seperate power feed from the fan, can be 5pin or 6pin, single wire to proprietary hub or 2nd wire to hub/mobo.
ARGB (addressable) same as RGB, except has single addressable LED lights, so can vary colors per single light, software or controller depending.

You have LED lights. They will always be Blue. The only way to change the color is to physically change the fans. That model comes in several color options, you chose (and are stuck with) blue.