i have a question
can i controll my Case fans
i have 4 (3Front 1Back)
My case is MSI FORGE 112R
mobo : ASUS PRIME Z690-A

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Certainly you can. By "Control" I presume you mean to control the fan speeds automatically according to temperatures measured by relevant sensors, and according to pre-programmed "fan curves" of fan speed for the measured temperatures. Your mobo has two systems for that to serve two "groups" of fans. See your mobo manual p. 1-8.

ONE "group" is the cooling fan system for your CPU, whatever that is, and the mobo CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers are for that. Their work is guided by a temp sensor inside your CPU chip. IF you have a liquid-circulating cooler system with a rad, the mobo W_PUMP+ or AIO_PUMP header is for the pump. You did not ask about that, though.

You did ask about case ventilation fans, and that is the other "group". Your mobo has FOUR such headers called CHA_FANn which matches the count of fans you have. So you can connect each fans' motor cable to one CHA_FAN header. Each of these uses a temp sensor on the mobo to guide it.

Now look at the mobo BIOS Setup Manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf?model=PRIME Z690-A

on p. 11. It shows the fan configuration screen. On it you can select each fan header separately and then adjust that one header's settings. To start with this after you have all your stuff installed, see p. 5 of that BIOS manual for how to enter BIOS Setup. Immediately after pushing the power button on your case you should hold down the keyboard "Del" key until the opening screen appears - see p. 6. At bottom centre there's a little graph about fans. Click on the box below it to reach the QFAN Control Screen (p. 11). Set each header you are using -CPU_FAN and all four CHA_FANs. Most of what you need it already set, but just check each as you go through. For each, at upper right set to PWM Mode, not to Auto or CD. At the bottom set the Standard Profile. After you have done this for all headers, click at bottom right on Exit to get back to the Main Menu (p. 6). There at bottom nearly right click on Save & Exit OR just use the F10 key to get to the Exit Menu (p. 86). There choose Save Changes & Reset to save you settings and reboot.

This will get automatic control of all your fans working under the pre-programmed settings, and that is a good place to start until you have experience with all of this.

NOW you can look at the other part- lights in your fan frames. You will have noticed that each fan has TWO cables from it. The one with the larger connector that has 3 holes (looks like it had 4 but #3 is blocked off) is to power and control the ARGB lights built into the fan frames. I will assume for now that you want all the fans to look the same, and that you will want to use a software utility called AURA Sync that came with your mobo to set the display options. Your CASE comes with a Lighting HUB board with six output ports you use to connect the cables from all four fans. See the case manual p. 14-15. That board also has one cable to reach to your mobo's ARGB lighting header. That header is on the mobo at top front - see mobo manual p. 1-14 for Addressable Gen2 Header. Do NOT try to use the 4-pin AURA RGB Header right next to it. So make those connections.

When that is done, when you turn on your system the lights probably will not work, but they might. There are three things to do first.
1. When you use the disk that comes with your mobo to install all the device drivers, etc. after Windows has been installed, it is very likely also to install the AURA Sync utility. Once that's done, you may need to load that so it is running.
2. That lighting Hub board in the case is set up to control all the lights for you by itslef - see the case manual p. 13-14. A button at the left of the case top front is used to change the light display manually. But ALSO look at the box on top of p. 14. Item 2 tells you how to hold that button down for 3 sec to switch control to the signals coming from the mobo Addressable Gen2 header. If you do that, the lights may NOT work yet.
3. The mobo header can use a new version of ARGB lights called Gen2, but most fans do not have that. Often the mobo is set by default to use that Gen2 signal system and it cannot control non-Gen2 lights. BUT if you look in the AURA Sync utility you should find a place where you can change that to NOT using Gen2 features, and then the lights can be adjusted to do all the dynamic colour displays you want.

I am not sure exactly about this last bit. It is possible that the switch to using mobo control of lights, and to using NOT the Gen2 features, are not preserved when you shut down. So, if the lights are not right when you re-boot you MAY have to do step 2 and maybe 3 each boot-up.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The fans that come bundled with the case have two leads each, one for the ARGB and one that's 3pin(DC) you can hook your fans to the motherboard using the included splitter(in the case). As for the lighting, you can hook the ARGB hub to the ARGB header on your motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In your four fans, look closely at the smaller connector on one cable. The case manual shows diagrams with a 4-hole connector for the MOTOR, but Lutfij (above) says they MAY have only THREE holes evenly-spaced. IF you find they are 3-pin fans as he says, then there is a change in my instructions above for how each fan header is configured. For any header that is feeding a 3-pin fan, the MODE setting at upper right must be to DC Mode.