[SOLVED] Fan curve not working in BIOS at all ?

irevidedxl

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys,

for some weird reason I am unable to edit the fan curves in BIOS. Nothing happens changes when I put it on manual mode or silent/balanced. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Also for some reason chassis 1 fan is always around 1200 rpm and I am unable to lower the rpm. BIOS image

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU
ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Case: Corsair 680x
Fans: LL120 RGB 120mm

Edit 1: I forgot to mention that I also did a clean installation of Windows.

Last edited:
Solution
This is my first PC and I built it with my friend so I'm not that experienced.

3 front fans are connected to the chassis header at the bottom right.

At the top the CPU OPT and CPU FAN are connected.

On the left the chassis fan 1 is connected but the AIO pump is not. Maybe It should be connected to the AIO instead? Although it isn't the CPU cooler fans that aren't working.
So no hub or anything like that? All fans directly connected to motherboard, correct? Three LL 120 on the front connected to CHA_FAN 2, W_PUMP and M2_FAN and one (unknown) on the rear connected to CHA_FAN 1 header, plus CPU fans on their own headers.

Now, there is no speed control on W_PUMP header so the fan connected there will always run full speed. The...
While in bios nothing is supposed to change, do you boot into windows after changing anything to see if it changed something?
Also some fans have a standard speed or don't go below a certain rpm, you will have to see the model number of fan1 and search on the web if it's normal or not.

irevidedxl

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019
Yes I boot into windows to check if it changed. I am just unable to change it.

I followed this video to see if I can change the fan speeds with this app and it also won't let me. I can't even turn the fan off...

I seriously don't know what's wrong with my fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you using the Corsair utility called iCUE? If yes, note that it takes over control of your fan motors AND lights. So any settings you make in BIOS Setup will be changed to whatever iCUE is set to do. Use iCUE for your settings IF you have it installed.

irevidedxl

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019
Are you using the Corsair utility called iCUE? If yes, note that it takes over control of your fan motors AND lights. So any settings you make in BIOS Setup will be changed to whatever iCUE is set to do. Use iCUE for your settings IF you have it installed.

I don't use any software to control my fans. I did a clean windows installation as well but nothing helps...

irevidedxl

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019

On the left the chassis fan 1 is connected but the AIO pump is not. Maybe It should be connected to the AIO instead? Although it isn't the CPU cooler fans that aren't working.

So no hub or anything like that? All fans directly connected to motherboard, correct? Three LL 120 on the front connected to CHA_FAN 2, W_PUMP and M2_FAN and one (unknown) on the rear connected to CHA_FAN 1 header, plus CPU fans on their own headers.

Now, there is no speed control on W_PUMP header so the fan connected there will always run full speed. The rear fan - I suppose it could be 3 pin fan, and if the header is set to PWM control then you will not be able to control its speed either. However, the remaining 2 front fans should be controllable on QFan screen in that setup.

Solution

irevidedxl

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019

Now, there is no speed control on W_PUMP header so the fan connected there will always run full speed. The rear fan - I suppose it could be 3 pin fan, and if the header is set to PWM control then you will not be able to control its speed either. However, the remaining 2 front fans should be controllable on QFan screen in that setup.

It is connected to an RGB hub but I have no idea how any of that works. There's a fourth fan at the back connected to the top left of the motherboard