Fan goes nuts when screensaver kicks in!

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
hey guys

my sisters pc is really ticking me off. Whenever the screensaver goes on the fans ( i think CPU fan or maybe PSU fan) whirr really loudly for a few seconds..then they stop...then a few seconds later they start again. This happens non-stop but as soon as you cancel the screensaver, the fans stop. This noise also never occurs when the computer is being used.

I thought maybe that the drivers are not working properly but i really dont know what to do.

Thx for any help.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It's Intel® Precision Cooling IF you have an Intel Or a AMD® Cool & Quiet
These Softwares Automatically adjust your Voltage and Your CPU fan speeds and your Computer Speed according to the Tempratures of the Cpu and Motherboard. The Processer Speed up the fan during Screensaver mode to release all of the heat stored up and then slows to a crawl. and until you don't activate your Processer again

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I know exactly what you mean. My parents pc is like that also, it's a Gateway. Mostly when the pc is on idle or with the screen savers on with no background task the cpu fan turns itself off. The reason is that the pc detects that there's no task or program running so the cpu is not working, hence less heat and thats when it turns down the fan on slow or completely off.

You can change this setting by going to the bios and set the fan to manual and in some bios you could even set the cpu and system fan rpm manually also. But it is recommended to set this on auto.

--Pete

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hi,

Which screen saver are you running? The 3D pipes and exploding balls actually put a fair stress on the system which could explain why the fan needs to come on. Try changing to the Blank screen saver and see if the problem goes away.

--Pete

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hi,

Which screen saver are you running? The 3D pipes and exploding balls actually put a fair stress on the system which could explain why the fan needs to come on. Try changing to the Blank screen saver and see if the problem goes away.

--Pete
that's right.
and some(non windows)3d screensavers are almost like playing games. Stressing cpu and gpu all the way.