Question Fan goes to high speed and low fps for several days

Aug 7, 2024
Hi everyone. I use Acer Nitro 5 An515-57 model laptop and I encountered this problem several times. Suddenly, usually when I play games, fan goes to high speed abnormally and fps drops significantly. When this happens, it lasts around a week and it goes back to normal i don't know how.

Here is the things I've tried
- Cleaning the laptop
- Using DDU to remove drivers
- Updating my graphic card manually ( with and without Geforce experience )

And I ran userbenchmark and here is the result : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68380055
It shows a problem with the gpu. I don't know why it only tests the intel gpu. Normally my card is RTX3060.

I'd be glad if someone could help me
Thanks

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource monitor to observe system performance. Run as Admin.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First observe the system while doing other things - no gaming.

Then leaving the tool window open and visible, play a game as usual.

Watch for what, if anything, changes, when the fans speed up and fps drops.

May take a bit of trial and error to narrow down potential culprits.

Reactions: stonecarver
Aug 7, 2024
Use Task Manager and Resource monitor to observe system performance. Run as Admin.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First observe the system while doing other things - no gaming.

Then leaving the tool window open and visible, play a game as usual.

Watch for what, if anything, changes, when the fans speed up and fps drops.

May take a bit of trial and error to narrow down potential culprits.
Hey, thanks for your reply. The thing is, this FPS drop that I mentioned happens once, randomly, and then this low FPS problem starts to occur. For several days afterward, I just have low FPS in games. However, every time this problem happens, it is accompanied by high fan speed.

The only thing I could observe is that while I'm not playing games, GPU usage is 0-1%, and while I'm playing, it goes up to 99-100%.

You can see the gpu usage while playing games :

I would like to mention again that my problem is not having FPS drops, I have low fps all the time.

Ralston18

Titan
The objective is to discover more about what is using the GPU and/or other system resources.

Another tool that can help is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

What games are being played?

Compare what resources are being used when not gaming to the resources being used when gaming.

Something else may be being triggered by a game or some other app. Look in Task Scheduler.

Aug 7, 2024
The objective is to discover more about what is using the GPU and/or other system resources.

Another tool that can help is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

What games are being played?

Compare what resources are being used when not gaming to the resources being used when gaming.

Something else may be being triggered by a game or some other app. Look in Task Scheduler.
I have just tried a solution that I've found on internet. I pressed the power button for 20 seconds then I let my laptop unplugged for 20 minutes. I plugged the charger again and the problem has been solved. I don't know why it happens and if there is any laptop part that must be fixed/replaced.