Question Need help troubleshooting :/

Aug 7, 2024
i7 9700k/RTX 2070 super
Computer was working a day ago. Went to boot up today and saw a white screen. Tried rebooting and all fans and lights would turn on but no display and usb not functioning. I first tried to reseat GPU and CMOS battery and got the same results. I then tried to boot without GPU and it was able to boot properly. I then put the GPU back in and it was back to no display and usb not functioning. I took the GPU back out and was able to boot it up properly again. Looking around i noticed my system only showing 8gb a ram when i have two 8 GB sticks. I decided to try to reseat the ram, but now even without the GPU the PC is stuck in a boot loop. Ive tried one stick of ram in different slots and its still stuck in the same bootloop. So now i am not sure if I have multiple issues. I plan to test GPU and RAM in a friends pc and checking PSU with a multimeter. I understand it could also be the motherboard or CPU but does anyone have any suggestions before I have to replace piece by piece and hope i get lucky.

Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

checking PSU with a multimeter
Pointless to do that. Since there's no load on PSU.

does anyone have any suggestions before I have to replace piece by piece and hope i get lucky.
Given that you somehow got it to boot with iGPU, while PCI-E x16 and one RAM slot was gone/dead, it points towards MoBo issue. And rearranging RAM probably was enough to kill all RAM slots.

Without knowing exactly what PSU you have, impossible to tell if PSU most likely fried MoBo or did MoBo die on it's own.

Could be CPU issue as well, but usually when PSU acts up, MoBo is 1st to go, followed by GPU. CPU is most durable component inside the PC but not invulnerable either.
I doubt the RAM is the issue, since it doesn't explain why PCI-E x16 slot didn't work all of the sudden. Also, you were able to boot with iGPU, while one of the sticks did show up.

Aug 7, 2024
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Pointless to do that. Since there's no load on PSU.

Given that you somehow got it to boot with iGPU, while PCI-E x16 and one RAM slot was gone/dead, it points towards MoBo issue. And rearranging RAM probably was enough to kill all RAM slots.

Without knowing exactly what PSU you have, impossible to tell if PSU most likely fried MoBo or did MoBo die on it's own.

Could be CPU issue as well, but usually when PSU acts up, MoBo is 1st to go, followed by GPU. CPU is most durable component inside the PC but not invulnerable either.
I doubt the RAM is the issue, since it doesn't explain why PCI-E x16 slot didn't work all of the sudden. Also, you were able to boot with iGPU, while one of the sticks did show up.
Thanks for the well detailed response. I appreciate your input and could explain how it seemed to get worse as i was messing around with the ram. My power supply is an ATX-PR800W. All components are about 5 years old, I bought everything together pre-built.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My power supply is an ATX-PR800W.
This Apevia Prestige 800W doorstop?
Specs: https://www.apevia.com/products-power-supply/atx-pr800w
For real? :eek:

If so, PSU is #1 (and i'd say only) suspect. Most Apevia PSUs are crap quality. Some are low quality, but whatever Apevia puts out PSU wise - should never be bought.

New PSU is a must. Especially since that PSU ever came with 3 years of warranty and is way past it's lifespan. Most likely what happened: PSU developed a fault, sending out of spec voltages to your MoBo, which in turn damaged the MoBo. And now, powering the build with faulty PSU, your MoBo is completely toast. Hell, i'd say that you should check each and every component in 2nd PC, to validate if they work. Because when PSU acts up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. Aka your whole PC.

Now, i get that you bought prebuilt and maybe didn't have chance to switch out the PSU in there. But the hidden danger with prebuilt PCs is, that often low/crap quality PSU is put into those PCs. Since it is easy to scam people who doesn't know much about PCs (hence why they buy the prebuilt in the first place), rather than buying individual components and building the PC on their own.

Regarding new PSU, good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium, in 650W range, IF your RTX 2070 Super survived and you can use it again. If not and GPU is also killed by Apevia unit, and if you plan to get new GPU, then 650W unit is good up to RTX 4070 Super. RTX 4070 Ti and RTX 4070 Ti Super would need 750W unit.

For 2nd opinion about your Apevia unit, look it up from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it in Tier C, low priority units. That's low quality PSU. Borderline crap. Far for being mediocre quality (Tier B). And mediocre quality is only good enough for office PCs without dedicated GPU. While what i'm personally using and also what i suggested, are all Tier A. These all are good/great quality units.
(Btw, my PCs are powered by: 2x Seasonic PRIME TX-650 and 1x Seasonic Focus PX-550, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Oh, one more thing;
PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

With this, i suggest that you look towards any PSU that has 10 years (or more) warranty. For reminder, your Apevia unit had 3 years of warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999
Aug 7, 2024
This Apevia Prestige 800W doorstop?
Specs: https://www.apevia.com/products-power-supply/atx-pr800w
For real? :eek:

If so, PSU is #1 (and i'd say only) suspect. Most Apevia PSUs are crap quality. Some are low quality, but whatever Apevia puts out PSU wise - should never be bought.

New PSU is a must. Especially since that PSU ever came with 3 years of warranty and is way past it's lifespan. Most likely what happened: PSU developed a fault, sending out of spec voltages to your MoBo, which in turn damaged the MoBo. And now, powering the build with faulty PSU, your MoBo is completely toast. Hell, i'd say that you should check each and every component in 2nd PC, to validate if they work. Because when PSU acts up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. Aka your whole PC.

Now, i get that you bought prebuilt and maybe didn't have chance to switch out the PSU in there. But the hidden danger with prebuilt PCs is, that often low/crap quality PSU is put into those PCs. Since it is easy to scam people who doesn't know much about PCs (hence why they buy the prebuilt in the first place), rather than buying individual components and building the PC on their own.

Regarding new PSU, good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium, in 650W range, IF your RTX 2070 Super survived and you can use it again. If not and GPU is also killed by Apevia unit, and if you plan to get new GPU, then 650W unit is good up to RTX 4070 Super. RTX 4070 Ti and RTX 4070 Ti Super would need 750W unit.

For 2nd opinion about your Apevia unit, look it up from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it in Tier C, low priority units. That's low quality PSU. Borderline crap. Far for being mediocre quality (Tier B). And mediocre quality is only good enough for office PCs without dedicated GPU. While what i'm personally using and also what i suggested, are all Tier A. These all are good/great quality units.
(Btw, my PCs are powered by: 2x Seasonic PRIME TX-650 and 1x Seasonic Focus PX-550, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Oh, one more thing;
PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

With this, i suggest that you look towards any PSU that has 10 years (or more) warranty. For reminder, your Apevia unit had 3 years of warranty.
Thanks for the additional input. I never knew much about computers, just bought a prebuilt and its worked as good as I needed for the past 5 years. It sounds like I should upgrade PSU, MoBo, and maybe my CPU (since its a 9th gen and needs to be compatible with new MoBo) and just hope my GPU and other components aren't fried and will last a little longer before upgrading. I really appreciate you helping me out.